Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

LED Bulbs

Has anyone out there changed their normal bulbs to LED? If so, what is it that is required so that it doesn't set off the car's OBC for bulb failures?

There are canbus-error free LED bulbs for sale on Trade me, worked for my 07 Z4 before

You can either buy error free led bulbs or you can buy inline resistor packs that cancel tbe obc warnings. Repco and supercheap have them but they arent cheap!!

From memory, on e46, all the exterior light except the side repeaters have bulb detection. The bulb warning can be turned off through software through OBD diagnostic port. So, if you have those USB -> OBD thing bought on Trademe/eBay, you can change settings and no resisters needed.

Really? News to me?

Really? News to me?

Yes Greg, load monitoring can be turned off with applicable SW via the ibus

yeah, a mate of mine did something like that on his E46 318Ci when he upgraded to the later full LED type housings.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Forget using them as headlights, no where near bright enough and the pattern is all over the place. Most change the number plate light and front park light/angel eye bulb for a bit of bling.

If you don't code out the cold checks, you can have "strobing" of the lights when the cold checks are done - the current may be enough to light the LEDs, but an incandescent wouldn't have even thought about lighting up.

Looks pretty nasty when it does it - random looking blinking.

Not all models can code out all the checks either. I changed my E39 LCM to a later version (LCM4, from and E53 X5) to enable the disabling ( :lol: ) of the angel eye cold checks.

Also, common replacement LED units simply do NOT have the same "amount" of light... they look bright, but won't light up much of an area type thing... That's why I stuck with incandescent on the Model A Ford - the LEDs looked brighter, but were harder to see, especially in sun.

just on this subject... would these work in e39 brake lights?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/bulbs/auction-728572727.htm

I had similar led bulbs in a honda city turbo and it failed a wof because they werent bright enough!! Ok for indicators or side lights but brake lights you want to be seen!!!

The tech exists for led headlights eg Audi r8 but don't think there is a plug and play setup for a halogen lamp replacement