Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

What type of oil.......?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the best oil for my car? It's

a 1987 m325i.

Cheers Mavrick

Semi synthetic 10W-40

Thats what I just put in my 525i but I think it might burn thru it a bit quickly.

Mobil 1 in the m325 and Fuchs in the convertible. Neither burn or use any oil. After changing to M1, I swear the car turns over a bit faster first thing in the morning, but could be imagining things.

Mobil 1 in the m325 and Fuchs in the convertible. Neither burn or use any oil. After changing to M1, I swear the car turns over a bit faster first thing in the morning, but could be imagining things.

Bro, aren't you at two different ends of the spectrum there?

I'd rather put 15w 50 in both.

But then agian i do bless it with voodoo magic before i put it in. (for higher break down temp)

Edited by m325i

ive always ran 20w/50, because thats what the car was designed to run. And most experienced mechanics that know what they're talking about back me up.

Just dont run penzoil, that stuff is sh*t now. Go for the best castrol 20w/50 i rkn, thats what they use at the stealer.

any more news on that BBS wheel for me mang?

Cheers guys a wide range but iv'e got the jist of it now.

Sparkle: Give me a time tomorrow and i'll come round so you can make a judgement call on it.

Cheers Mavrick

i ran magnatec 10w40 semi synthetic for a while and it performs really well, but with the older engines i think it's a bit too thin and it burns quickly and finds its way through seals more easily.

I switched to mineral oil (GTX) tis the win, no probs what so ever.

Ran an E30 323i on mobil 1 for about 12 years , had done 330,000 kms when I sold it and it was still running fine.

I want to be using a fully synthetic oil but am using a semi synthetic cause i'm a tight arse. If you can afford to go fully synthetic.

i run full catrol synthetic(5w 30) and i buy it from the stealer with bmw cc discount works out cheaper trying to buy 6l mobil 1 at repco...you could see if you buy some of page carl,they have the full castrol range....

I run Castrol GTX. That's because my mechanic made the recommendation because he tried some synthetics in his 525i and had smoke out that back end after a while.

Does anyone know about those fancy engine flushing systems? I had it done to my car the last service ($90 I think?). It got rid of all the grimey bits left behind after a oil change.

what sort of milage have you got on your car?

might want to use something a little bit thicker if higher milage, say 150k+