Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

BMW Noob from Wellington

Hi everyone

Been a bit of lurker...

Joined the forum as I have been wondering what to get as a first car (obviously considering a BMW :P ) and also when.

Been looking at face-lift models due to improved rust protection.

I'm also not looking to do phat skidz.

Not really sure what else to add... :wacko:

Thanks

eliongater :)

EDIT: started looking now as I know it will take a lot of research

Edited by eliongater

Welcome! Plenty of help here. What have you got in mind? E30? E39? ....

Was thinking e30. But my local BMW guy suggested an e36 (as they are newer than the e30) or an e39.

Highly likely to be a poor student next year, so fuel and parts need to be fairly cheap. I would also like to get my hands dirty as much as possible :)

Edited by eliongater

If you`re going to be a scarfie next year, we`re talking the E30. That was my first one. Some time ago. Great cars...........

You definitely want an e30 then. Garunteed to spend all your spare cash and time underneath it.

E30 and E36 are both reliable and cheap to maintain, and both are not complex, so you can get your hands dirty fine, and they will forgive your mistakes etc.

don't be put off by the 6 cylinders of either, they are just as cheap on both maintenance and fuel as the 4 cylinders, although avoid 320i of both types if possible.

E34 is another good option, a bit bigger, definitely safer, but of course a bit heavier on the gas bill. No more complex though.

Would avoid E46 and E39 onwards if money is going to be super tight. Yes they are newer, in theory less to go wrong, but often doesn't work out that way, and parts are a lot more when they do go wrong.

Why avoid 320i's? All the disadvantages of a bigger engine and none of the advantages?

Was thinking a manual m4x e30 over an e36 as I think the e30 looks better and is an e30.

Forgive my ignorance but how can an m20 have similar fuel economy to an m4x?

Edited by eliongater

Why avoid 320i's? All the disadvantages of a bigger engine and none of the advantages?

Pretty much!

Forgive my ignorance but how can an m20 have similar fuel economy to an m4x?

probably depends on the way you drive it, but day to day driving, i have found no difference between a 316i and a 325i etc.

Having said that, all are manuals, but you won't be buying auto anyways.... will you??? :P

by the way you will need to bring your E30 to wellington E30 performance centre most of them have been here now lol

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

The e30 is a classic ( with the right set of owners , and we are talking alignment when it comes to baseball caps here)

I`m not sure the e36 is..

The e30 is a classic ( with the right set of owners , and we are talking alignment when it comes to baseball caps here)

I`m not sure the e36 is..

I don't wear baseball caps :P

Thanks for the welcome guys. :)

I was looking mainly at facelift 316i/318i (s) manual e30s.

Sounds like u got the right idea. Good luck with ur search

I don't wear baseball caps :P

Thanks for the welcome guys. :)

I was looking mainly at facelift 316i/318i (s) manual e30s.

Can't go too wrong with an E30. Patience is key. I got lucky with mine after waiting around 6 months. As for cost, I'm a 17 y/o college student and I didn't want to spent too much money on the car. I now spend most of (the little) I earn on it lol. Get my hands dirty too which is good fun with a bentley manual. Never driven an E30 other than my 325i. It's a very enjoyable car. Do recommend. Good luck :-)

Plenty of E30 guys here that can help you look over any that take your fancy. pity i sold my 316i manual yesterday, you could have taken it out and see what you think. 316i are better than 318i in my opinion, because they are generally lighter as they won't have many (if any) options.

Plenty of E30 guys here that can help you look over any that take your fancy. pity i sold my 316i manual yesterday, you could have taken it out and see what you think. 316i are better than 318i in my opinion, because they are generally lighter as they won't have many (if any) options.

Wow. That's very generous of you.

I saw your 316i for sale with the massive clock.

Which is still on trademe. (Probably a good idea to remove it if you've sold it)

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Wow. That's very generous of you.

I saw your 316i for sale with the massive clock.

Which is still on trademe. (Probably a good idea to remove it if you've sold it)

Thanks for all the advice guys.

yeah i should, but some people on my other listings i am waiting to hear from, they need to contact me via it etc

• I have a project E30 that I am happy to let go, it is pre facelift, south african 325i sedan, leather recaro interior, but still needs some work to finish, $1500

Just had new timing belt/tensioner/water pump/ etc, factory bottlecaps, etc

• I have a project E30 that I am happy to let go, it is pre facelift, south african 325i sedan, leather recaro interior, but still needs some work to finish, $1500
  • Just had new timing belt/tensioner/water pump/ etc, factory bottlecaps, etc

That sounds interesting. Couple of questions. Manual? Any pictures and what sort of work?

can vouch for Stephen, straight up guy to deal with, better than some random off trademe not telling you everything

That sounds interesting. Couple of questions. Manual? Any pictures and what sort of work?

it is an auto, I have most of a manual conversion kit I would also sell, can send photos if you pm me your email address

Has some rust in left front guard, a couple of door locks dont work, etc. All good E30 apprentice stuff!

it is an auto, I have most of a manual conversion kit I would also sell, can send photos if you pm me your email address

Has some rust in left front guard, a couple of door locks dont work, etc. All good E30 apprentice stuff!

So not too much to get it road worthy?