Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Police in the headlines

Have a look at this article

Link-izzle

I can't see it happening as it would open a can of worms, however, there's some merit behind it

My wife rolled and wrote off her car changing a tape on the Desert Road. She was obviously distracted and was charged with careless driving (she crossed the centre line - she was upside down at the time, but apparently that counts), so yes, I'd say a 'distraction' rule is a good one.

Of course there are many distractions and a fair amount of common sense would be required ... not sure if it would be applied fairly though.

I have a couple of friends who are in the police. They say that if two cars are speeding and they can only nab one of them, it will always be the one which looks more like a boy racer, since they assume he's already broken the law before anyway. They also say if they're bored they'll pull over anyone wearing a hoodie or anyone sitting too low in a car, just to check them out.

Anyone who thinks the law is applied fairly is living on some other plane than reality....

If you are doing something in your vehicle that distracts you from driving that is so obvious that a patrol car going past can see you aren't paying attention, then you deserve to get pulled up on it.

No cop is going to catch you changing a CD unless you are trying to grab your CD case off the floor of the passenger seat or something.

In other words, anything that doeesn't pose a serious hazard will probably be imperceptible to passing police officers anyway.

So then, does eating a burger then constitute as driving distracted?

I think that is is a good law, albeit hard to enforce and prove in many cases.

The only accident I have ever had, was while I was adjusting my car stereo about 8 years ago. I admitted it straight away, and got correctly charged with careless driving.

I felt like a prick, as the car I hit in front was full of people, already late, on their way to a wedding (they were completely uninjured, but their car was a bit the worse for wear, and not going anywhere fast).

Cheers

Grant

I would say so.

Cheers

Grant

They also say if they're bored they'll pull over anyone wearing a hoodie or anyone sitting too low in a car, just to check them out.

I'd do this if I were a cop. Seems fair to me.

Another thing I have seen quite a lot recently is people driving while listening to music through headphones. Seems odd to me, and quite likely cuts down your awareness of the outside world - not sure why, but I am sure it would be worse than listening to a car stereo.

As would 'road head' ....

Ah yes, that was almost a gimme :D

Ah yes, that was almost a gimme :D

gimme, as in you want jazz to give you road head carl?..

:finger:

good rule, rock that sh*t

gimme, as in you want jazz to give you road head carl?..

:finger:

good rule, rock that sh*t

Twisties :finger:

It's almost a good rule but it would give police way too much power, banning cell phones is good, but giving someone a ticket simply because a cop thinks they weren't paying attention?

I can see the sales of tinted windows going up somewhat

cool...even more reasons for anal police to be anal

having said that, distractions arent cool...some people just suck at life. part of driving test should be able to have a smoke and eat a burger whilst going sideways

Guest Andrew

having said that, distractions arent cool...some people just suck at life. part of driving test should be able to have a smoke and eat a burger whilst going sideways

i've only just mastered smoking and cellphone and drifting -

i hit a kurb when i was younger in the 320 and JUST smoking while going sideways.

Yeah i can just see myself getting pulled over for absolutely no legitimate reason AGAIN - just because i'm young and drive a nice sporty lookin car!

too hard to enforce this law, however i do agree with it.

If they can have this law then they should have the "f**k you can't drive for sh*t, you have tunnel vision and no brains get off the road" law.

there are so many sh*t drivers that forget that they are driving a potentially dangerous weapon who daydream along like it's thier right to have the car just take them where they wanna go.

motherf**kers, all of them useless fools, just f**k off. sh*t i'm angry

i dont think they need another law,surely they can use careless driving.There was acase recently where a lady changing radio hit a cyclist.....I agree with Ollie the polce should concentrate on all BAD driving not just speeding......even hands free kits cause loss of concentration on the job at hand,which is controlling your vehicle not carryng on with your life or job while you transport yourself from one place to another.......

In order for an accident to occur in most cases the driver has to be distracted. Is this just another way of criminalising yet more of the generally law abiding public?

Remember there are such things as "Accidents" the cops are already too trigger happy with careless driving charges.

UK changed the law recently that eating while driving is seen as "distracting"...

so it could be one hell of a expensive burger

Naturally, this will also lead to DVD/TV players in cars being illegal.

Car stereos also - since we all know how much music affects our driving (true - it does).