Sign in to follow this  
nzodea

any idea why so may E46 M3's on trademe at the moment

cost of ownership??, everyone upgrading to a V8 M3??

wide price range as well.

keen to know anyones thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps they are all getting 'old' so its a case of selling up before they need that 100,000km+ big service

It's the age of the car and owners are tired of spending mega dollars maintaining them plus with the e92 m3 price dropping like a stone (someone said a uk import e92 m3 60km for $39k landed) why not upgrade

Just remember to water your money tree when maintaining a m car

My guess is s/h e60 m5 and a few e90 m3 in the price bracket where E46 M3 owners would consider an update.

Mind you, I know of two people that haven't gotten over selling their e46 and have gone back.

100,000 km seems a problem for some people yet these cars will have likely had the more expensive services done such as shims and rotors. In which case they fall back to e46 320i servicing costs.

Interesting that 100,000 km figure it is like it has been pre programmed in to everyone "must sell" before or the wheels fall of the wagon, it is more how it has been looked after.

Not everyone, just clueless people.

My E90 335i has done 143K and it runs perfectly. I really can't think of anything to replace it with other than an E90 M3 which I can't afford anyway! If you service them the way they are supposed to be serviced, and don't drive like a lunatic all the time then they should go on and on.

No big servicing issues.. if you maintain them properly and find a immaculate one to begin with no such issues with the e46 m3s.

Most of the ones on sale are the early m3s 01-03 .. very rarely do the late model 05 and 06 ones come up.

Was helping a mate look for an m3 a month or so ago.. thing I took away from the search, the ones for sale on trade me are alright although there maybe a few on sale.. the numbers do fluctuate and the ones you would ideally want to buy are the ones parked in the garages of m3 owners in this forum :) because they're some of the best ones around.

Why they're on sale.. quite possibly change in life status whereby something like a 550i might suit better etc etc.. again with the e92 m3 best to aim for the later models .. always best to give bmw M cars a few years, though earlier model e92 m3s have prices dropping with the arrival of the new m3 and m4.

Edited by DSCOFF

I did dream about bring over an E90 M3 from the UK. They are so cheap.

Wouldn't bother with an E46 M3 because of this. Though mostly because I just can't be stuffed with a coupe anymore.

I actually looked at the e92 m3s in the UK (12 months ago), sure the price on UK autotrader may look like 20-22,000 GBP when you take into the vat you pay in the UK, shipping, compliance here, the cheapest you're looking at is 50k .. that's for an early 07 version.. which would be silly.

I spent 9 months searching through e46 m3s, e60 m5s, e92 m3s, lotus ellise and the Audi rs4 (B7) till I finally found an m3 CS that I decided to bring over with help from a few mates based in the UK.

I've had a few M cars.. would advise to give it a few years always.. that's why the early models are cheap and plentiful.. Every intelligent person knows always go for the later models.

Edited by DSCOFF

You're right. When I say cheap I meant around the 50K mark. Way outside what I would want to spend.

I am yet to see anything even close to the $40K mark that I would want to own.

You're right.  When I say cheap I meant around the 50K mark.  Way outside what I would want to spend.

I am yet to see anything even close to the $40K mark that I would want to own.

Well with the introduction of the new m3 and m4, maybe give it a year e92 prices will steadily decrease.

By the way the e90 sedan m3 definitely looks a whole lot more aggressive than the e92 coupe.. you should consider that in the near future.

And EDC is a must with options and get the dct it's sublime! 08s had the introduction of dct amazing gearboxes, reliable too!

Can't vouch for others, but TJs experience with his engine would be enough to put me off an E9x M3. Obviously not every engine will go bang, but the thought of an 18k rebuild would always be in the back of my mind! All hypothetical as it'll be a cold day in Hades before the Mrs lets me spend 50k on a coupe!!

Can't vouch for others, but TJs experience with his engine would be enough to put me off an E9x M3. Obviously not every engine will go bang, but the thought of an 18k rebuild would always be in the back of my mind! All hypothetical as it'll be a cold day in Hades before the Mrs lets me spend 50k on a coupe!!

:)

It's a bit've a bastard but what can you do other than suck it up? I'm currently in New York and the engine is being rebuilt while I'm here so there should be a car to go home to, with warranty!

It is true, you don't know what you've got 'ti it's gone. I was beginning to get the AMG or RS4 itch but my appreciation of the M3 has grown massively since not having it and driving other "less performance inclined" cars. I've decided not to switch to "competitor" cars like the RS4/AMG and have more of a clear upgrade when I change cars.

I'm thinking an R8 V8 will be the next car...

Edited by T.J

Good choice!! Are you rebuilding to stock?

Yep. The lust for more power will be satisfied (if needed) down the line with an M-Performance, or Akrapovic Evolution + Evolve remap.

Yeah I would much rather an E90 than an E92. While in Mission bay on the weekend a number of E92's went past. Followed by an E90 in Blue. Instantly wanted it. Looked so much more aggressive than the 92's. And what a awesome color. Strange really as I would say the opposite for all previous 3 series models.

I also like the new M3 over the M4. Suites well as it has the correct badge.

Edited by driftit
  • Like 1

Yeah I would much rather an E90 than an E92.  While in Mission bay on the weekend a number of E92's went past.  Followed by an E90 in Blue.  Instantly wanted it.  Looked so much more aggressive than the 92's.  And what a awesome color.  Strange really as I would say the opposite for all previous 3 series models.

I also like the new M3 over the M4.  Suites well as it has the correct badge.

Definitely mate.. glad you view it that way too!

The sedans are a tad rarer too.

However good the e9x m3s are, the m4 looks amazing and has been receiving rave reviews.

Tristan hope all works out with your m3 mate.

I am also a great fan of the E90s.

Tristan hope all works out with your m3 mate.

Thanks - will update my 'Project' thread when I get back to NZ.

Same here! I am seriously considering an E92 but hearing about that has certainly made me think twice! I love them for their engine but if they are a bit of a grenade then that detracts a fair bit!