Sign in to follow this  
JoshWhit

E46 Student Project

Hey Guys

So I'm new here and just wanted to start a thread for my BMW e46 i recently brought a month back, This is my third bimmer i have owned and I just Absolutely love it! compared to my E30 sedan and my old E36 coupe, This is a 318i tiptronic.. yes i know its only a 318i and automatic but im only 17 years old and have a automatic restricted license and cant effort the gas for a bigger engine at the moment haha bigger engine and manual conversion is on the list of to-do's!

-Background on the car-

I brought the car about a month ago from Rockstarcar dealership on the northShore. GREAT dealership! the car has a 3 year full mechanical warranty. Has had one previous owner and has only done 140ks

I haven't got set plans at the moment of what i'm going to do just living life to every paycheck.

What i do know what i will do is, New rims unsure what type,Angel eyes,lower/adjustys , carbon fibre badges

Without further here are the pics i got when i first got it

post-51451-0-33004200-1410560404_thumb.j

Looks tidy!

Personally I like those wheels and would keep them.

External visual mods for me would be an msport bumper. But it looks great as is.

This car didn't even exist when I was 17!

Welcome and good choice in car.
Nice color ;)

I'd suggest you also invest in clear top tail lights, side indicators and front indicators to give the car a more modern look.
Also a pair of M3 mirrors (replicas are fine) help make the e46 look more modern.

Definitely a nice start, nothing wrong with smaller engines or auto- if you're not racing around or need the power then there's no need for it.

Welcome and good choice in car.

Nice color ;)

I'd suggest you also invest in clear top tail lights, side indicators and front indicators to give the car a more modern look.

Also a pair of M3 mirrors (replicas are fine) help make the e46 look more modern.

Definitely a nice start, nothing wrong with smaller engines or auto- if you're not racing around or need the power then there's no need for it.

Is that another Topaz I see?

Where are they all coming from :o

Noice car, I personally would recommend Schnitzer Mirrors.. Or maybe Im just bias..

Change the rims.. Make it look more attractive on a nice set of shoes. Tints can work wonders too.. But if you are looking to upgrade to a different car later on, do the bare minimum to keep the comfort of a daily driver without going OTT when all you will do is sell it.

I gotsa manual E46 328i Factory if you want ;) hahaha

hahah cheers guys

so far i have done some minor mods first thing i did was add a Euro Car Club sticker ahah

then i installed a headunit and subwoofer took a while but was my first time doing it all by myself

haha and Nick G i had been saving for nearly a year before i brought this by myself. first car my e30 wow, need less to say it's most likely driven itself to the wreckers ahah

post-51451-0-60595000-1410575354_thumb.j

hahah cheers guys 

so far i have done some minor mods first thing i did was add a Euro Car Club sticker ahah 

then i installed a headunit and subwoofer took a while but was my first time doing it all by myself

haha and Nick G i had been saving for nearly a year before i brought this by myself. first car my e30 wow, need less to say it's most likely driven itself to the wreckers ahah

Hahahaha. Yeees. ECC is among more people than I realise. Good mod, adds at least 1hp that sticker ;)

opps forgot to add something special:

I recently brought a real carbon fibre bonnet of trademe, i personally was not a huge fan of the designon the bonnet when i saw it but it was going dirt cheap $200 dollars! so i brought, imean how often do you see them on trademe i sure don't ahah

So i have spent around 3 hours today taking off my old bonnet and putting the new one on i must say im liking it alot more now ahha ( took 3 hours asi was doing it alone)

What do you guys think? i must say i noticed a few head turns when i was driving this to get some pics for you guys hahah

post-51451-0-52208300-1410576174_thumb.j

post-51451-0-05150400-1410576186_thumb.j

post-51451-0-32445300-1410576200_thumb.j

post-51451-0-32409500-1410576209_thumb.j

post-51451-0-43829900-1410576217_thumb.j

excuse the phone quality says its a 22mb camera on phone but plays up on these forums ahah

The head unit looks a bit cheap. You have bought a premium car and OEM always looks best in these.

Not a fan of cf badges.

Bonnet was a good price but not sure if i like it on a blue car?

yeah i feel the same been driving it round today and had about 4 compliments because of it so other must think its nice. ahha i guess you have gotta see it in person every minute im growing to love it more

The head unit looks a bit cheap. You have bought a premium car and OEM always looks best in these.

the head unit was cheap if you read the start im a student on a low budget doing little modifications

Focus on maintenance and preventative maintenance over cosmetic modifications.

What year is the car?

I think you have the N42 or N46 motor.

Unfortunately these motors die, so its good you have a three year warranty.

Make sure you follow the service plan you got with the warranty, so they don't try and dick you out of rebuilding your motor when the time comes.

Apart from that, these are great cars.

I agree with QUBE about maintenance and preventative maintenance, although dark tints would look cool on your car.

Sorry bro the bonnet's got to go. Made me do a little spew in my mouth. As above, maintenance first then mods... But who am I to talk, I sink ridiculous money into old Kaisers.

Also keep the orange indicators, they look mint on a topaz blue car. Clears will cheapen it (although not as much as that bonnet does!). It's a great looking car... Keep it that way!! Haha

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

Do it cause it meets your standards not others, cause your the one paying the bills

• Like 2

Sorry bro the bonnet's got to go. Made me do a little spew in my mouth. As above, maintenance first then mods... But who am I to talk, I sink ridiculous money into old Kaisers. Also keep the orange indicators, they look mint on a topaz blue car. Clears will cheapen it (although not as much as that bonnet does!). It's a great looking car... Keep it that way!! Haha

Agree in regards to the clear clear ones.. I think best bet is that sort of Smokey tinge (I have them on mine) blends in so well with the E46's!

Orange can make the car looked aged (old) but on some cars it looks amazing. Depends on personal style I guess :P

And to OP, go for gold on whatever you want to do. It's your car so you need to be the one happy with what ya jump into everyday!

Hey guys,

Cheers for everyones opinions greatly noted the car is currently getting fixed for a major oil leak and collant leak which wasn't covered by the warranty so thats taken 1k out of my spending and hurt my wallet, I have been given a rental car a mercedes e200 1995 to drive around in very different in comparison but a good difference ahah.

In regards to the indicators I do agree with keeping the orange ones for some reason I do like them alot brings a colour scheme to the car blue and orange rather than blue and white haha but I feel this way probably because I haven't seen any different indicators on my car.

And as to the bonnet I never really liked it initially and only purchased it because of its rariety and cheap price! As the weeks gone I must shamefully admit it is growing upon me and have found lots of people love it or out right hate it I guess it is one of those things that comes down personal preference, either way im going to leave it on for a while mostly because I do not want to go through taking another bonnet off again by myself like I did too put it on

Cheers guys keep the opions coming just keep in mind low budget and cant afford great expensive mods

Haha

Ps. If you guys are going to be at the ecc meet, hopefully ill be there come up and greet your selfs im sure you will recognize me because of the bonnet and the 17 year old driving ah

Have a god day!

Edited by JoshWhit
  • Like 1

Good on you, hopefully the remedial work doesn't set you back too much.

Good on you, hopefully the remedial work doesn't set you back too much.

Cheers bro hopefully, will be picking up my car today and paying the bill urghh they called me up saying around 1000 dollars to fix, I would of tried fixing oil leak myself but im very bysy with exams coming up and sport I figured its best to get a qualufied mechanic to do and then I shouldn't have to worry about it for a while and as to the coolant leak ild be dammed I looked to fibd the leak but had no luck at all that was a mystery to me, another reason I am paying as in 3 weeks im going to be driving down to new Plymouth so I also want to make sure it all is 100%.

Next mod I possibly will spray break calibers orange MAYBE as I like the orange a blue theme haha