Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

opinions and experiences please

Haha true. Sad fact was the 7 series probably had as much spent on it on claims as it was worth at the time!

I was happy if a service was in at under 1200.

Anyone with the tools to clock an E39, will make sure there is no tamper light on - you only have to re-write the correct VIN to turn off the light. If the cluster milage is higher than the car, the whole car will be updated to the higher milage. If the cluster milage is lower, the cluster will update to match the rest of the modules. If someone has the tools to reset the cluster, they have the tools to rewrite the VIN. It's not really very hard to clock an E39, but you have to have the right tools, and it takes a little time and disassembly. You wouldn't leave the tamper light on after all the other technical challenges that you've overcome.

Most likely explanation is a replacement used cluster because of dead pixels, probably done in NZ by an iffy dealer and didn't have the cluster coded or the VIN set. BMW dealers can't change a used cluster VIN with the official software, and aren't supposed to use aftermarket software that can do it. They make you buy a new cluster.

As there was no drop in KM's on the pre purchase reports it was more likely the clusters were replaced in Singapore. Dead pixels or dodgey behavior it would increase the value of the car. And there is no way to tell from any of the documentation.

If the cluster was replaced in NZ before the vehicle was VIN'ed they should have flagged it as the Odo would not match the import docs.

If replaced after Vin process then it would show up on a normal Carjam/Motorweb report.

Lol. 3pedals, you must commute around in a homicidal rage seeing you have a demented fixation with how a car handles, but you drive something with the aerodynamics of a cement block and a center of gravity resembling a ferris wheel.

*edit: OP, Go drive both. You'll end up with the extra 2 cylinders - Why have six when you can have eight? If gas mileage was a consideration we'd all be driving Mitsubishi Mirage's and Honda Civics. I can get under 10L/100KM driving like a nana on the motorway, or 16-19L/100KM driving way heavier than we're allowed to on the road anyway. Your e39 will handle fine regardless of either engine, you're not the resurrected Ayrton Senna so you're probably going to drive for the most part like everyone else does. I can steer my old boat around corners and over shitty lumpy NZ roads just fine without falling off it.

Edited by sonic_attack
  • Like 1

As there was no drop in KM's on the pre purchase reports it was more likely the clusters were replaced in Singapore. Dead pixels or dodgey behavior it would increase the value of the car. And there is no way to tell from any of the documentation.

If the cluster was replaced in NZ before the vehicle was VIN'ed they should have flagged it as the Odo would not match the import docs.

If replaced after Vin process then it would show up on a normal Carjam/Motorweb report.

The Kms will NOT drop - after driving a short while until the next update milage, a lower milage cluster will INCREASE to the cars modules stored milage, so the cars ACTUAL milage is displayed. I'll leave it at that. Not sure explaining a 3rd time will help.

Thanks for all your feed back guys....ended up having a whim bid on a 02 530i msport - one owner from import from europe. has been well looked after and had all the necessary servicing / parts repaired. was expecting it to go for a lot higher than it did but picked it up for a bargain. now to find some wheels, damn 5 series and their low offsets

Nice - remember the E39's have a different wheel centre bore to other BMW's too ;)

Good choice, they have enough power for an everyday car.

I do 400-500k a week, I did look at some 540i's but struggled to find a good one here in Christchurch, or one that wasn't 4-5k over priced.

It seemed like it was going to cost me 2x what I paid for the 530i to get a Facelift Motorsport.

530i vs 540i http://www.zeperfs.com/en/match1125-501.htm