Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

opinions and experiences please

You'll be better off with a 530i petrol. Unless you're towing something decent most of the time diesels are false economy. Have in mind rego is nearly twice the price, RUCs is about $55 per 1000km (makes that 1000km per tank claim not so great), more religious servicing, and if a HP fuel pump or turbo lets go be prepared to bend over ($$$).

Hmm, diesel $1.39 / ltr 91 Petrol $1.99 / ltr 98 Petrol $2.?? a litre. No point owning a v8 and putting 91 in it, ECU will just retard the timing back and you'll lose a lot of performance out of.

If you do more than a couple of kms a day, either in traffic or on the open road it will pay off the extra rego and RUC pretty quickly you'll find.

Service intervals on the newer diesels are same as petrol and condition based, fuel pumps on most petrols are now HP DI and many have turbos too. Versus longer engine life on a diesel, higher re-sale value (like for like), etc.

Horses for courses really, and personal preference. Buy the car you like driving the most!

Ego tuggers haha, isnt that what a X5 is Auckland is.

540i's are cheap and you get alot of features for your money, i love having heaps of low down torque which 528i and 530i lack compared that the V8 and it sounds far better.

As you said you buy the car you want to drive, some people like cheap power and the V8 wins that.

Basically thread is tldr. The only answer is V8. Have had both, V8 is the correct answer. /thread

All the usual myths and bull crap about V8's

If you want:

- a car that handles and has reasonable performance - buy a 530 , preferably in Manual

- a lardy V8 that has a drinking problem when towing and handles "average" - buy a 540i

- an economical daily drive that handles and CAN tow - buy a 530D

- a performance V8 - buy an E39 M5 or better still an M3

Had a 528 , got an X5 diesel , wouldn't waste my money on a 540i they are just ego tuggers for the delusional , they don't tow and they don't handle

As above, buy the car you WANT to drive

On an engine dyno a proper running vanos 540i produces 400nm from as little as 1300rpm.... i think that will tow just fine.

Given the choice between a V8 and anything else I'm gonna pick the V8 every time.. Till a V12 come's along of course..lol

So between the 530 or 540 I'd definatly go for the 540.

If you dont get the V8 now you'll only wish you had later on.

And just why are 540's cheap- There are a sh*t load of them in the country, supply and demand

530 is a much better balanced car with better handling no one is arguing with you on this one, its a known fact

The old cliché "Just a little bit thirstier" Yeah Right - Do the real numbers try 30 to 50% thirstier for 530 / 540 and 50 to 100% for an X5 diesel / X5 petrol comparison. we arent talking X5 penis compensation devices

I save $5,500 a year in fuel costs running the diesel and i save more than that by running a Honda Fit daily. Apples and oranges, just like your comparisons

• Like 1

^^^^^ So why then did BMW produce the M5 as a V8 then instead of a 6? Considering they have world class 6cyl engines in the M3

Don't disagree that the E39 6 is a better balanced car.

Edit - the ^^^^ refers to two above

Edited by hotwire

because they wanted a bigger and better engine in the M5? Who knows, but its well known that rack and pinion is far superior to recirculating ball.

How much of the front suspension and steering components are shared between an M5 and 540?

And just why are 540's cheap- same reason as V8 petrol X5's ---- they don't deliver when it comes to towing or general driving economy that's why the resale value is "average"

Fine for traffic light drags but nothing else and the 530 is a much better balanced car with better handling --- 540's are lardy wallowing vague handling average" old mans or ego tuggers cars" --- drove them crossed them off the list very quickly.

The old cliché "Just a little bit thirstier" Yeah Right - Do the real numbers try 30 to 50% thirstier for 530 / 540 and 50 to 100% for an X5 diesel / X5 petrol comparison.

I save $5,500 a year in fuel costs running the diesel

I have had both 2002 530i msport and 2002 540 msport, nz new the 540 was best buy far. Fuel was average 5L per 100 more around 18 perr 100 around town, didnt bother us, petrol cost what it cost but if you can not afford to pay the gas you don't buy the v8. The 530 was good but I would have the 540 I over it any day...edit: get one while petrol is still cheap ? Edited by beemn
  • Like 1

If you want:

- a car that handles and has reasonable performance - buy a 530 , preferably in Manual

- a lardy V8 that has a drinking problem when towing and handles "average" - buy a 540i

Had a 528 , got an X5 diesel , wouldn't waste my money on a 540i they are just ego tuggers for the delusional , they don't tow and they don't handle

Hmmnnnn.... Listen to the guy that hasn't owned either a 530i or 540i... or trust the owners of both (of which there are several in this thread) that all say the 540 is better? I know what I'd do (and did).

As I said, 528i and 530i owners will always harp on about how much better they are than the V8... Because they haven't got a V8.

540i Motorsport with servotronic steering shares most of the suspension and steering components with the M5... I'd say it's a bargain!

Edited by jeffbebe

every time my 540 is being serviced I get given as loan cars...525i 530i 318i 320i Compacts!!! of all ages conditions, e36's e39s' etc etc they're all autos too...and I think to myself, "what sort of dreary bugger runs around in these lame ducks" ....look out

Twice the price? No its $70 more than a petrol for 6 months.

I compaired my 530D to a 530i a little while ago. Included Fuel, Rego, RUC, insurance.

Diesel was only a $500 odd cheaper per year with just the around town driving.

Open road however. Not even in the same class. But I also use mine to tow. Would never tow with a petrol again.

Right, I stand corrected.

Open road and the overall running costs between the petrol and diesel narrow, to a point of making the diesel redundant.

If you want:

This is laughable... Who buys a two tonne luxury sedan to 'handle'... And who drives them at such a pace to notice, and be put off by the difference.

My old 540i pulled two tonne regularly no worries.

Was a great car for driving around NZ, ideal mix of ride quality, road holding and enough balls come over taking. Just a good all rounder.

Highway mileage I could get down to 8.6l/100km Wgtn-Akl.

E39 540i would have to be one of, if not the best used car bargain, if a larger sedan is on the cards.

If OP is worried about a cost per km basis then a 530i will probably be a better buy. Then again, 10 year old car, anything can happen down the track that will blow the budget.

Edited by coop
  • Like 1

But of course we should all believe the subjective opinions of the V8 drivers who don't own or drive 530's that's really logical - NOT.

If you read any of the reputable reviews from when the 528 and the 530 came out , they all conclude the 528/530 is the BETTER all round car.

And spurious arguments about whether one can afford the fuel cost just more crap from the V8 head in the sand brigade - Really time to move on guys cars are smarter and more fuel efficient.

I'd happily own a V8 - it would be an M3 and I'd use the X5 as the family car just like we do now because it is so much smarter than a lardy V8

Maybe I wasn't clear when I said I owned both???..I might add they were back to back and I would still go with the 540..was far smoother than the 530. Better spec. And talking about smarter more fuel efficient car we are not .

To the OP

Plenty of e39's to choose from I would think. Go for gold and drive both. I'm sure you will choose what you feel is best for you.

But of course we should all believe the subjective opinions of the V8 drivers who don't own or drive 530's that's really logical - NOT.

If you read any of the reputable reviews from when the 528 and the 530 came out , they all conclude the 528/530 is the BETTER all round car.

And spurious arguments about whether one can afford the fuel cost just more crap from the V8 head in the sand brigade - Really time to move on guys cars are smarter and more fuel efficient.

I'd happily own a V8 - it would be an M3 and I'd use the X5 as the family car just like we do now because it is so much smarter than a lardy V8

I too have owned a 528 and a 540. The 540 was a far more exciting car to drive and, with the servotronic steering, there was little difference in handling quality. Of course cars are more fuel efficient now - but I doubt the OP would be considering an E39 if he could afford a shiny new car. I also highly doubt he can afford an E9x M3 either, so your point is... well, you don't really have one.

It's also interesting that you place so much weight in critical reviews of the E39 yet would happily own a V8 M3 - the one M3 in its lineage - that the critics seem to universally agree is sh*t compared to all of its six cyl predecessors.

• Like 2

But it's not about us - how about providing some useful information to the OP to help with their journey to finding what they value??

Nail. Head. Exactly what we have been trying to do.

Some facts or 'qualification' rather than my "V8 was better than my 530" would be useful.

For those commuting around town doing 5,000 km per year fuel costs are not a big issue but for others who do somewhere north of 30,000 km it adds up and when you then chuck in a set of tyres every 10 months the running budget gets quite a bit larger.

And yes the 540 might produce 400Nm and one may deem that fine but the 530D will produce 500Nm and that will tow better if towing is a requirement.

The 528 did 7.3l/100k on a trip to Rotorua fully loaded and never sucked more than 10.6 average - The comparable 530 makes more torque and drinks less.

For those clocking up the kilometres , the 530 D is streets ahead and it can really tow.

Most 540 drivers if they are honest rarely see better than 12l/100k unless they are doing open road steady state driving and if you believe most of the online commentary they are less reliable and more expensive to maintain than the M52/ M54 engines.

So:

530i - handles better, is efficient , reliable and reasonable to maintain

530d - as above plus it can tow and really pays off big time if you are towing a lot and or travelling large distances regularly

540 - nicer more refined car (subjective) - weighs up to 300kg more not as nimble as 6 pot versions , tows okay, seems to have more engine reliability issues than 6 pots and generally uses more fuel and a lot more if you have a lead foot.

Is that reasonable ?

Yep...and I would add "sounds a whole lot better" to the 530i / 530d comparison. Also, as a former 330i and 330d owner, my experience of the diesel is bad but hopefully was only bad luck. The 320d turbo blew at 120k costing over 5000 bucks which put me right off diesels - hence the move to the 535i instead of a 535d. I admit though that the diesel gave you a good shove in the back if that is what floats your boat.

530i - handles better, is efficient , reliable and reasonable to maintain

530d - as above plus it can tow and really pays off big time if you are towing a lot and or travelling large distances regularly

540 - nicer more refined car (subjective) - weighs up to 300kg more not as nimble as 6 pot versions , tows okay, seems to have more engine reliability issues than 6 pots and generally uses more fuel and a lot more if you have a lead foot.

Is that reasonable ?

Yep, reasonable. I would add that the 528i I had and feedback from 530i owners is that they are not particularly efficient (certainly compared to modern cars). My 540i didn't use much more fuel when driving sensibly round town and no more on longer journeys but efficiency can go out the window fast with the V8 if you're having a bit of fun.

Also, V8s with servotronic steering (similar to the M5 setup) are significantly better in the handling department than the non-servo, recirculating ball.

We don't buy any of our cars to be fuel efficient. My wife has no idea how to drive conservatively. Foot to the floor all the time. The 530 would be 12L/100 regardless of how we drove it around town. Too many start stops in the city. It's big and heavy. Where as my 330i CS manual sits at around 9L/100 round town and 7 open road.

Either way. 530 or 540. Make sure she is a facelift and if at all possible NZ New that has been well looked after.

Don't touch Singapore import E39's. The 3 I have looked at all had obviously wound back odo's. Easily identifiable by the little tamper dot next to the odo. If its lit its a piece of sh*t.

Either way. 530 or 540. Make sure she is a facelift and if at all possible NZ New that has been well looked after.

Don't touch Singapore import E39's. The 3 I have looked at all had obviously wound back odo's. Easily identifiable by the little tamper dot next to the odo. If its lit its a piece of sh*t.

Actually... that light shows up if the VINs don't match the rest of the car. The milage gets updated regardless of the VINs matching or not.

Edited by Allanw

Actually... that light shows up if the VINs don't match the rest of the car. The milage gets updated regardless of the VINs matching or not.

Yup like if someone has installed a cluster with much lower KM's before selling and exporting from Singapore.

Yup like if someone has installed a cluster with much lower KM's before selling and exporting from Singapore.

Anyone with the tools to clock an E39, will make sure there is no tamper light on - you only have to re-write the correct VIN to turn off the light. If the cluster milage is higher than the car, the whole car will be updated to the higher milage. If the cluster milage is lower, the cluster will update to match the rest of the modules. If someone has the tools to reset the cluster, they have the tools to rewrite the VIN. It's not really very hard to clock an E39, but you have to have the right tools, and it takes a little time and disassembly. You wouldn't leave the tamper light on after all the other technical challenges that you've overcome.

Most likely explanation is a replacement used cluster because of dead pixels, probably done in NZ by an iffy dealer and didn't have the cluster coded or the VIN set. BMW dealers can't change a used cluster VIN with the official software, and aren't supposed to use aftermarket software that can do it. They make you buy a new cluster.

Back in 2003 or 4 I had an e38 that McMillan had to put a new cluster in (due to a short totally unrelated to the cluster in the end) it was close to 2k for that (mech warrentee) i did ask them to take some milage off...didn't go down well ☺

• Like 1

Back in 2003 or 4 I had an e38 that McMillan had to put a new cluster in (due to a short totally unrelated to the cluster in the end) it was close to 2k for that (mech warrentee) i did ask them to take some milage off...didn't go down well ☺

HAHAHA! I bet it didn't! They'd probably tried it before, secretly :ph34r: .