Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

OBD2 for Smartphone

I am sure there is a topic on here somewhere - but the grueling process of looking through thousands of threads prompted me to ask the question myself.

I have an iPhone - and the iobd2 xTool, or iobd2-bmw xTool via WiFi looks like it would do everything I require - but the price tag sits over $200 and its made me think 'what else is out there?'

I have an Android Tablet, and am potentially preparing the trade up of iPhone to Android, so am widening my search of an OBD2 WiFi/Bluetooth reader to connect with a suitable app to read the basics of my M3, eg: Temps, Basic Stats, and most importantly Fault Codes.

So I ask you fellow BMW enthusiasts, if you use one - what is it that you use and would you recommend it, or if you feel you have a valued opinion in regard to a fantastic OBD2 App and reader, please share.

I know of TorquePro for Android, would this be on par with iobd2 - and would a basic WiFi/Bluetooth reader off trade me do the trick required or must I prepare to pay out a little more for a better reader. I am under the understanding WiFi versions are quicker than your Bluetooth. Ideally for now an App on iPhone that would be suitable, or even better, and App for Both Android and iPhone, otherwise just Android which I could read off my tablet, or potentially new phone.

I am not requesting the indepth tasks like a full on $10k scanner..

This is iobd2-bmw http://iobd2.co.uk/products/#iobd2-bmw

Edit: Got quote.. $230 incl GST for iobd2-bmw

Edited by MISS BM

My E36 isnt OBD2, but i use a cheap BT OBD2 adaptor and torquepro on my Honda and it works well. quick refresh time on the live data.

Anyone used the BMWhat App? Which supports coding as well with a OBD to USB port which then uses USB-OTG to connect via phone.. Only coding is available via Android.

Torque seems good - heard good things, but am certainly after an app/device that can read BMW Specific codes.. $230 seems a bit steep when it's only for reading the codes. I can get a specific BMW App + Reader for under $100NZD.

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en plus http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/meters-testers/auction-819970087.htm

Cheap as chips. Will read codes too, but not sure about bmw specifics. I certainly wouldnt trust my critical coding functions to a wireless adapter.

You should try and borrow someones torque pro and see how you like it.

Edited by KwS

I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en plus http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/meters-testers/auction-819970087.htm

Cheap as chips. Will read codes too, but not sure about bmw specifics. I certainly wouldnt trust my critical coding functions to a wireless adapter.

You should try and borrow someones torque pro and see how you like it.

Coding can only be done via USB OBD2 Plug which you would find for those you use NCS expert direct on their laptops. Can't code for E46 via Wireless Communication unfortunately. Only from 03/2007 onwards.

Will try hunt someone down who has one.

ah sorry, missed the USB-OTG bit. Android coding would be kind of cool, but its something that once you code it you dont tend to need to do it again, unless of course you are coding for others and then having a portable setup like that would be handy.

• Like 1

I keep thinking of getting something like this for the 320d. Reading codes is probably all I'm looking for - not looking to write anything back (at this stage...)

I'd got as far as looking on TM for readers but hadn't come across Torque, and hadn't really considered using a phone for it. (Bloody WindozePhone anyway.) I have an older rooted and hacked HTC Desire which might just suit, though.

I use torque pro on my tablet and a cheap ebay bluetooth adaptor, reads codes ok, good live data, can't reset lights or anything though, but for the price its great!

The xTool is pretty good. I have the bluetooth version. Scan, clear, live data. Pricey, but i'll have it forever so it's an investment.

BMWhat looks like an awesome option for Android and iPhone.. But need to check if available in Nz.

• Like 1

I have a few kits for OBD I, II and III arriving early next year with blue tooth and wired connectors. Runs Torque Pro and Vgate. Supplier in the UK, via Germany, says they are pretty good. So if you haven't found anything by the time they arrive, you can have a play around with one of the units and see what you think. Im also waiting for them to get back to me about the Apple version of Torque Pro, so will see what they say.

Can get the cord here in NZ for a lot cheaper. Or Even Ebay :) haha

I've not looked to hard, but I'm unsurprised.

Just a matter of getting the right software!