Sign in to follow this  
Ugan

330i - Engine Degrease

Hi

I know this may have been covered a million times before but I will ask it any way, my car had oils leaks from rocker cover gasket, vanos hose etc.

I want to clean it up properly to be able to spot it any further leaks to remedy as my ac compressor is covered in oil.

The car is not being used anymore so no pressure to get it back on the road in a hurry, so I can take time and strip whatever plastic shrouding, heat shield etc to clean up properly.

Thanks

So, sounds like you know what you want to do....or are you wanting to know if you can use degreaser on the engine?

Recommended Degreaser, can I use a water blaster ?

cheers

Personally I would never use a water blaster or steam cleaner on an installed engine, I have seen too many problems caused by water getting into where it shouldn't.

I would go Supercheap and get a big bundle of cans of degreaser and spray that onto the dirty areas. Depending how old the oil is on the engine and how clean you want it a stiff brush might come in handy as well.

Thanks for the advise, will get some before after pics on this weekend.

Carb cleaner melted grime off my engine better than brake clean - had average success with cheap canned degreaser. End of the day nothing beats lots of degreaser, toothbrushes & rags.

• Like 1

End of the day nothing beats lots of degreaser, toothbrushes & rags.

Steam cleaner, effortlessly make it look brand new.

Cheers, will let you know how I get on.

I feel violated, why do you have my name D:

It seems to happen a lot - tim325i was Alanw (or similar) then I came along to confuse everyone, and he changed his name... which I didn't realise you could do until very recently!

One part dynamo laundry wash to two parts warm water in squirt bottle. Spray on , leave for 5 mins and rinse off with water.

Finish with brake cleaner.

I use on my motorcycle frame , wheels and swing arm. Works more effectively than a lot of degreaser products.

• Like 2

One part dynamo laundry wash to two parts warm water in squirt bottle. Spray on , leave for 5 mins and rinse off with water.

Finish with brake cleaner.

I use on my motorcycle frame , wheels and swing arm. Works more effectively than a lot of degreaser products.

*Buys copious amounts of laundry powder*

Have steam cleaned/water blasted many engines/bays of all models over the years without issue, except for water ingress into distributors - an easy fix. A little bit of common sense is all that is required...

• Like 2

Steam cleaner, effortlessly make it look brand new.

^^ this

Have steam cleaned/water blasted many engines/bays of all models over the years without issue, except for water ingress into distributors - an easy fix. A little bit of common sense is all that is required...

+1

Still did not get a chance to complete this, surprise visit from sister in Sydney so she is using the car atm. Thanks for the advice I will def post before after photos when done.