Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

The modern classic M3 (not the E30!)

If your analysis of car performance is as inaccurate as your reading skills I can see why you think the E92 M3 is just an OK car.

Haha...you're a laugh mate. But nevertheless I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Probably because of those dodgy 2002 versions with bearing issues and smg pump failures.........

No wait ....... I've got one of those ?

As a sidenote I've curiously looked at importing a CSL a few times over the 2 years from the UK under the 'special imports' category and I did feel they've become slightly more difficult to source and also higher in value recently than 2 and a bit years ago when I looked initially.

But hey that could also just be the market at the time and my bad luck. I've given up on that venture now :(

what about the 1M...?

lol i know it has nothing to do with the OP but gosh that thing was fun when i was sitting in it going around hampton downs

what about the 1M...?

lol i know it has nothing to do with the OP but gosh that thing was fun when i was sitting in it going around hampton downs

Not a true M car ... when it has an engine lifted straight from the Z4 it is no longer a M car :P:P:P

Why do you disagree?

I also should have stipulated it also needs to be a MY2003.5 or newer car.

For a 'normal' M3 I reckon; 2003.5+, Nav H/K audio, 19"s, and personally give me half leather. I accept 3 pedals will continue to demand a premium, rightly or wrongly.

(Regarding 2003.5+ though, if the bearing recall has been done, unless it's one of the really late ones with the extras previously discussed, what's the 'real' difference?)

For a 'normal' M3 I reckon; 2003.5+, Nav H/K audio, 19"s, and personally give me half leather. I accept 3 pedals will continue to demand a premium, rightly or wrongly.

(Regarding 2003.5+ though, if the bearing recall has been done, unless it's one of the really late ones with the extras previously discussed, what's the 'real' difference?)

That Nav unit is going to be a waste of time in the long run, and will look goofy sitting in the dash, being useless. I'd probably agree re: half leather.

Prefer the LED lights in the 3.5's. Also as it's the "facelift", it will potentially be seen as more desirable. Also, didn't they get front strut braces?

I think the oldest one's didn't have strut braces. Mine is early 03 (pre FL) and has one.

The 16:9 isn't always Nav though - mine is the trip computer, radio and music tagging only.

A mint facelift 'stripper' with low KM and mint condition would be desirable.

It's all about the CSL though really - I can't see any others being truely collectable.

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 1

I think essentially, we are on the same page, as this is what I was originally getting at. But i'd have the 18's, as I think they look better ( as well as the other benefits which come from the smaller rim ).

But i'll disagree on your last comment re: the CSL being the only truly collectible E46. History will look very favorably on the lowly standard M3, it will be regarded as the greatest car of it's class.

I think the oldest one's didn't have strut braces. Mine is early 03 (pre FL) and has one.

The 16:9 isn't always Nav though - mine is the trip computer, radio and music tagging only.

It's all about the CSL though really - I can't see any others being truely collectable.

Oh yes they will...the numbers available always dictate how collectable they will be.

eg.

2004 M3 15 registered in NZ

2005 M3 13 registered in NZ

2006 M3 2 registered in NZ

Add maybe a small handful of imported facelift M3's in period 2012 to 2014 when they became affordable, with only slim chances of any more being imported due to emission standards. A rough guess would be less than 40 post 2004 M3's nationwide. That points to them being very sought after in anyone's book...

• Like 2

I would vote any clean, stock standard E46 M3 in Manual as a future classic, so many are DSG and feature horrid mod's.

I would say thee E39 M5 and E46 M3 will be the collectibles of the 90's and 00's.

Any sub model like the CSL will obviously have its collectors.

2004 M3 15 registered in NZ

2005 M3 13 registered in NZ

2006 M3 2 registered in NZ

Cool - any number for the other years? (Or total numbers?)

Had no idea there were so few!

Had a look at this car on Friday. Without a doubt , it's the cleanest / tidiest M3 I've seen in NZ so far. One lady owner ( has brought an M4 to replace)

Found myself thinking long and hard about buying it. Only problem I'd have with it is that it's too good to be a daily driver. ( And I've got almost every option in mine and 18 inch wheels ! )

what about the 1M...?

At a recent dyno day we saw over 400hp at the hubs on one of these. Torque curve was equal to 5.7 v8 from 1500 rpm . Quite a bit more than the broucher !

1Ms seem nice, but they aren't exactly NA, which is vital to me.