Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Sending an Airbag within NZ

Looks like NZ post deem a car airbag as a dangerous item..which is fair enough.

Any one know of any other shipping companies which would handle a steering wheel complete with airbag?

Any courier company that sends DG - as long as it's marked as such, and you tell them what it is, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

NZ Post have a very large "too hard basket" which lots of things get put into...

• Like 1

NZ Couriers will take it so long as it's described correctly

NZ Post have a very large "too hard basket" which lots of things get put into...

Maintaining up to date tracking information falls into this basket, too.

Could probably try Chem Couriers. They do all our DG stuff at work.

NZ Couriers tends to too hard basket stuff when its market DG in my experience. They'll pick it up and then leave it in the depot a couple of days until you call and go WTF.

DG parcels are quite a handful for courier drivers. Proper DG need DG declaration paper work that follow the box with extra copy for the driver down the chain. Sloppy drivers don't follow this up and I bet that's what happened.

Yep, like small batteries in cameras, phones etc !! They are over zealous about this and ask you every time you go to the counter with a parcel.

Of course we have all heard of the 100's of planes and trucks that have caught fire due to a 3.7volt battery ;)

"Maintaining up to date tracking information falls into this basket, too."

In my experience not only NZ Post has trouble with this part of the transport process. Have had items arrive on my door step but track info says it has just cleared customs sender end Uk , States, Lithuania, NZ, Aussy. Or no info at all and I have the item but they still charge like wounded bulls for the service that doesn't seem to function properly. As mentioned any car safety devise ie air bag devise is classed as a dangerous goods item (explosive canister) and must be declared as such if you want to get it transported ( legally).

Edited by tim 325