Sign in to follow this  
BMTHUG

E46 manual for $1 dollar reserve. 2.8 litre

Pretty sure that needs to be certed for the engine swap, if the power increased by 25 percent. If it didnt it was a waste of an engine swap!

Im pretty sure it is certed and to be honest who is going to know if you are looking at the engine for wof purposes? They look pretty much the same. You would have to thoroughly inspect to know that the capacity has increased significantly.

Yeah wouldn't worry about the engine swap - coilovers are certed. He says some of the work was done by HellBM so thats a good thing.

• Like 1

Yeah wouldn't worry about the engine swap - coilovers are certed. He says some of the work was done by HellBM so thats a good thing.

Even if he had a 3 litre in there it would not be evident to the untrained eye. Most wof testing officers would not look into it further unless it's majorly obvious by looking at it that the engine capacity is increased. You are right bud. :) yeah he got Ray to do it which is the best person who could possibly do the swap. I know the owner and the car. Can really vouch for it

Someone is going to pick up a good deal. Hopefully someone from on here. Our BMW family of motors look deceptively the same within reason, which is great for us motor swappers!

Even if you told most mechanics that you have increased the capacity from X to X+ whatever, you can see that most of them wouldn't even be bothered doing the maths if it took longer than 4 seconds to work it out. So that's 800cc odd added to 2000cc and 800 divided by...she be right mate!

No one has look at or even questioned my 3000 to 4000. Why would you?

• Like 1

Yeah I do hope its a Bimmersport member as the car is in really good condition. If i had a few bob I would buy it myself then swap the manual bits into my coupe haha but oh well. I know the owner. Hes a bloody good fella.

Not saying theres anything wrong with it but if you are going to do it, why not do it properly and save yourself a possible insurance nightmare later on?

• Like 1

lol dont even know what happened, may have bought it :) haha I wish. new link up soon

To clarify the cert thing for the engine swap, there is no 25% power increase rule on engine swaps. That is for modifying the original engine. If it has a bigger engine, it needs a cert. The end.

• Like 2

Fair enough but whos to notice it has a bigger engine if they arent extremely familiar with the differences between the 2 litre and 2.8 litre m52 engines? Its bloody hard to see with just the untrained eye either way. Wof guys really won't know the difference. The car is sweet and a bloody bargain. If the potential buyer isnt happy then get it certed. Enough said. I am bidding on it my self and hope to win the auction. If I do I can guarantee it will get a wof from vtnz or wherever without any wof testing officer pinging it for having the engine swap not certed

Having a "current WOF" doesn't gaurantee an insurance payout.

It's the responsibility of the owner/driver to ensure the vehicle is up to a warrantable standard at all times.

• Like 2

^Then you rear end a Bentley and your life is over.

That is all based on the probability of that happening, and the probability of me being behind a Bently is also something that needs to be taken into consideration. Bottom line is if everyone is so concerned about the insurance and WOF issues don't buy it or don't bid on it. To each their own. Being someone that currently has WOF facilities at my workshop and knowing the rules and regulations I can honestly say if I didn't know about the engine swap I would be none the wiser. Cheap car, good condition = bottom line, variables = personal choice and opinion

car sold for 5 gz yesterday. Well worth it. SO gutted!