Sign in to follow this  
TooManyCars

Weight of seat belts

I recently removed the seat belts from an E30 coupe. The bits seemed surprisingly heavy so I put everything (5 belts with retractors, mounting bolts, steel rails that mount to floor, etc.) in a box and weighed it in the interest of science.

6.1kg in case you're interested.

• Like 1

Leave them out. They are over rated.

Its amazing what individual components weigh, we took a similar weight out of the wiring loom alone in my race car.

• Like 2

12.5kg approx electric seat motors

Edited by tim 325

My E34 535i only weighs 1280kgs wet. I would think it would lose another 150kg's if it was dipped.

sh*t, that's light for a car that size. Good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only glass left is the front and rear screen. Will ditch the rear screen eventually.

Though I am adding weight soon with all the turbo gear and going back to the large case diff.

I might get the bonnet and boot fiber glassed too.

I actually didn't believe it was only that weight till I drove it onto the scales.

What does the Megane weigh?

Edited by driftit

It's amazing how much heavier the modern cars are than the older models. Even with all the "weight saving" materials, the gizmos and safety system add more weight.

i pulled just short of 200kg out of my compact. interior, sound deadening, airbags etc.

sound deadening definately the heaviest stuff!

some of that has been added back with a bigger diff and engine though, although the manual box is lighter than an auto.....

Things people lie about in Motorsport.

Vehicles weight. Vehicles power. Build cost.

• Like 2

Take weight out of the car, forget to take weight off the driver....

• Like 3

Things people lie about in Motorsport.

Vehicles weight. Vehicles power. Build cost.

In the BMW series it is

Build Cost

Power Figures

Rule Book following

Weight is something they can't get away with.

And yeah add 108KG's when the Driver is in my car Jon haha.

Ha, true, some big blokes out there in racing, it affects the way they drive too, I have seen it first hand.

I am at 78kg, have lost 12kg over the last year, cheaper than carbon fibre but hard work.

Next weight reduction step is to find a skinny girl who is not afraid of sitting in a rally car that can read pace notes and then marry her... Its rare but there are a few out there.

Rally cars are generally heavy, you can't cut as much out as they have to be road legal and reliable, not to mention reasonably comfortable as you will travel unto 600km a day, possibly 300km of special stage a day... we also have to carry tools, spare wheel or wheels, recovery and crash gear, maps, books etc etc.. it all adds up. I think we were maybe 1450kg fully loaded up, thats including both drivers. When we started we were 120kg up on that so its been a hard slog to get weight out of the car and yet keep it safe and sturdy.

Yip I learned an important lesson about fitness when doing the 6 hour endurance race with with James in his S52 powered E30.

We were rushing to get onto the grid (I pretended I was meant to be starting from pit lane and drove up after the race had started a few seconds before).

So I didn't get to set up my water. I lost so much fluid it wasn't funny. Heat and effort was brutal. The car had a few issues so I was lucky to get a drink at those times.

I have so much respect for Enduro drivers now. More so than any other drivers. I won't attempt it again unless I am super fit.

If the car had made the 3 hours for my stint I think I would need to have been pulled from the car.

• Like 1

I used to be fit in my younger days and did some pretty serious go-kart enduros. After 2 x 2hr stints in the kart I was wrecked for a week.

No wonder formula 1 is now full of 17 year old midgets.

Being fat in an E30 just means you can run less ballast to reach min weight, can't get away with that in 2ltr so car and driver are both on a diet!