Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Advise and Joy Ride requested from a Christchurch Based E39 M5 Owner

I'm looking at buying an E39 M5, but have a couple of hesitations, one being the state of chch roads vs the M spec suspension.

Can anyone that is Christchurch based help me track down an M5 owner?

I'd also like to go for a cruise in one (don't need to be the driver) to make sure I like how it feels on the road given i intend on doing one or two 1000km ish road trips a month in it.

Having owned E39 M5's for the last 10 years I can tell you without reserve they are wonderful long distance mile munchers with good gas milage to boot.

The standard suspension was alittle on the soft side for me so i lowered the front of mine but I wouldn't be concerned about the M tech suspension even on rough roads just try not to hit every pothole. They are more compliant and sorted that your average bilstein equiped subie.

Buy the best condition one you can find and you will never look back. Just bare in mind even the last editions are getting on 12 years old now so it pays to be fussy or make sure you plan on some maintenance work.

Service history is a must.

Edited by M5V8

probably not comparable, but the Msport suspension is no issue for me around Christchurch with my 530i

I do a lot of road trips, ie Nelson, Queenstown, etc.

why not just test drive the one you want to buy? each car is different

The one I want to buy is in Auckland.

Having owned E39 M5's for the last 10 years I can tell you without reserve they are wonderful long distance mile munchers with good gas milage to boot.

The standard suspension was alittle on the soft side for me so i lowered the front of mine but I wouldn't be concerned about the M tech suspension even on rough roads just try not to hit every pothole. They are more compliant and sorted that your average bilstein equiped subie.

Buy the best condition one you can find and you will never look back. Just bare in mind even the last editions are getting on 12 years old now so it pays to be fussy or make sure you plan on some maintenance work.

Service history is a must.

That is reassuring to know, mainly I want a giggle on the weekends and the ability to drive 500km straight and not feel like i haven't slept in 3 days.

I was going to buy an E39 540 but got shafted by a seller that backed out of a verbal and written (sms at least) agreement. I decided bugger it, why buy a 540 to keep me happy and broke when the M5 is the dream wheels, may as well just go hard or go home.

• Like 2

wise words there. 540 v M5 are like two very different cars. It's hard to describe. But the M part does change everything.

there's a few of us M5 owners (and ex M5 owners) up here in auckland that would be happy to provide advice on anything you see up here that you are serious on.

I did targaNZ in '06 with my M5. over a week of hard driving and sleeping in cr*p motels.

No problem at all.

:)

The ride of the m5 is very compliant - comfortable but well controlled - all good for Chch roads. Go for it!

They are consummate mile munchers.......surf the wave of torque and head into the sunset........some great memories of central north island mile munching..........I love it as an all round package.

Edited by NUSTAD

Took the CHCH one for a spin, wow... my 540iS was fun... but this thing is next level.

Pulled the trigger on the E39 M5 AKL.

• Like 2

Awesome! I saw your new car at the car park at Hampton downs and it is a nice clean M5 - enjoy! Pick up the latest Top Gear a Mag to read the comparo between the F10 and the E39....... They still hold up well.

Awesome! I saw your new car at the car park at Hampton downs and it is a nice clean M5 - enjoy! Pick up the latest Top Gear a Mag to read the comparo between the F10 and the E39....... They still hold up well.

Nice! :) Look forward to seeing it posted up here!

Nice! :) Look forward to seeing it posted up here!

Me too. Good on you man, you'll enjoy it!

I haven't seen this article yet but here's another comparo with the E39 M5 from Road & Track..randt-mar2015_e39m5vchevyss.pdf

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger on the E39 M5 AKL.

You've done the right thing. E39 M5s are epic cars.