Sign in to follow this  
rijac1970

Sharing Experience - Don't Panic! (and other e90 stories - everything that could go wrong with your e90)

well after the pump was changed no more leaking. but i now have a bad coolant level sensor...  grrr... 

Problem went away. Maybe they didn't bleed properly and left some air pockets

my e39 use to ditch water like that occasionally,but I found it was the radiator hose clip o'rings. Seemed to be something to do with the way different materials heated and cooled because on the odd morning it would leak but on arrival at work it would be fine and then not reoccur for weeks to months,

It got progressively worse and I did stick my hand in to feel all the hoses and connections. I think it was indeed the pump. I guess I'll take it positively that I got a new pump at 350 instead of 1000. It was due anyway at 90k km

It got progressively worse and I did stick my hand in to feel all the hoses and connections. I think it was indeed the pump. I guess I'll take it positively that I got a new pump at 350 instead of 1000. It was due anyway at 90k km

1k for a waterpump? That's insane.

• Like 1

aren't the 4cyl engines in these assembled in the UK ?

Yeah. Plus labour of course. But still.

Just had a look on Ebay and I see they're about $350USD from there.

So I can imagine the local price being $700 + labour ect :/

Seems electric water pumps are much more expensive than the traditional belt driven ones...

Edited by Matth5

aren't the 4cyl engines in these assembled in the UK ?

Sounds about right though - pissing out coolant and oil.

Do they rust too??? :lol:

• Like 4

and the hits keep coming... now that the coolant pump is up and running the system is back at full pressure... and the almost ten year old hoses are starting to give... its not the hoses as much as the joints/connections. had coolant dripping from a hose connection at the top of the radiator (passenger side). been told to look out for possibility of other hoses failing the same way. by the time i'm done with this car i can market it as brand new underneath!

The hits will be there for ever... these pieces of sh*t recycle water and oil quicker than a whore emptying your wallet. Then again the whore is your car emptying your wallet. If your concerned about maintenance and economy ... buy a Toyota and join a different forum or buy any of the 6 cylinder versions and enjoy the experience.

• Like 1

Do they rust too??? :lol:

They can't rust Allan... they have a built in recycling spray system built in which covers everything with oil. This prevents the leaking water from starting or creating rust issues

• Like 3

The hits will be there for ever... these pieces of sh*t recycle water and oil quicker  than a whore emptying your wallet. Then again the whore is your car emptying your wallet. If your concerned about maintenance and economy ... buy a Toyota and join a different forum or buy any of the 6 cylinder versions and enjoy the experience. 

Thinking a bit longer term. .. how are the 7 seater x5s?

latest update. finally found some time to get the oil consumption looked at by BMW (i live 5 minutes from Jerry Clayton lol). as predicted by @B.M.W LTD rocker cover gasket, valve seal, vacuum pump gasket and oil filter housing gaskets are all contributing to the oil consumption/leaks. i'm so thankful i put money into that autosure warranty - i didn't expect them to cover seal/gasket leaks but they do and i only have to pay my excess for a major piece of work that going to put the car in the shop for 3 days.

Never heard of the problems these engines give until reading this thread- I'm gobsmacked. And to see Glenn writing so frankly about them... Don't think I'll ever own a BMW 4cyl.

With this latest repair my warranty has paid for itself (based on BMW list price for repairs of course)

i've been trying to stay positive and recognize that an almost 10 year old car is going to have some issues but my car is in the shop again! NOW i'm starting to get annoyed! a loud rattling noise under the driver side on start up and a yellow warning light (engine light with half solid triangle symbol) followed by car going into 'limp' mode. won't know whats the cause until tomorrow... grrrrr.....

• Like 1

Valvetronic motor. Kinda suspected it. Any idea what it costs? I'm covered so just paying an excess.

lol, i have a feeling this is just going to keep going on and on..

• Like 1

Valvetronic motor. Kinda suspected it. Any idea what it costs? I'm covered so just paying an excess.

Could end up being the valvetronic motor & DME. The motor quite often takes the DME with it go past 1(k) then start guessing 2? 3?

lol, i have a feeling this is just going to keep going on and on..

Let's do a lotto draw. What will fail next? I'm guessing coils

Transmission ?

I think we really need to get our necks out of the sandpit. European manufacturers, not just BMW are building cars now with a life cycle (recycle) of 3-5 years. Reliability doesn't come into the equation. Eco friendly, fuel efficiency, add on toys, recylability are the only factors apart from customer appeal for the brand/ design /model is a concern for them. 5-10 years down the track... who gives a f**k... it's gone... it's old... what car did you own... oh dear, one of those

On the other hand most dealers for new cars are offering 5 year warranties. It's almost as if they know the thing is going to break!