Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

M54B30 internals

Hmmm what you up to, John?

I sold some awhile back. Think I got 300 bucks for them

Think Ray has some last time I spoke to him.

Cool motor to build. Mines nearly done, have pocketed the Pistons to run some gruntier cams so put a bit of a holt on it all.

Yeah I checked with Ray, He never got back to me. Will check again.

Did you build them into an m52 or m50? I'm thinking M52 for the Alloy block + I can use my S52 cams.

Depends what you want to do.. Boost or na? If you were going na I would be looking at alloy block or just getting a m54 to start with.

Yeah just N/A. Rather stick to the Alloy M52 block instead of changing a whole heap including ECU to move to an M54.

M54B30 long block $1200

• Like 1

Yeah just N/A. Rather stick to the Alloy M52 block instead of changing a whole heap including ECU to move to an M54.

Yeah it's a bit of extra work for sure. There was one for sale earlier, complete with ecu for $1700. Prob would of been worth it.

My ones a mongrel one, alloy block and no vanos.

• Like 1

Mines alloy block, no vanos and lots of M50 bits and pieces. Must work tho, keep smashing Getrag boxes, too much torque. Now has a ZF M3 box.

• Like 2

Just a note on this and it may be case by case I don't know. I just had the bottom end assembled using m54 crank,rods and Pistons, the Pistons sit about 4mm too low in the bore. So thinking I'm going to have to use a longer rod, presumably out of an early m50 non vanos. I have these so I'll give them a go and report back.

Oh really, weird haven't heard of that before. Where do the pistons sit at TDC compared to the top deck, wouldn't longer rods push them too high over?

I've found a set now too, rods crank and pistons.

Edited by e30ftw

Just a note on this and it may be case by case I don't know. I just had the bottom end assembled using m54 crank,rods and Pistons, the Pistons sit about 4mm too low in the bore. So thinking I'm going to have to use a longer rod, presumably out of an early m50 non vanos. I have these so I'll give them a go and report back.

I have a bit of paper somewhere as I had all the m54 stuff, different m52 and m50 vanos/non vanos and I had measured all the rods and pistons and worked out the different combinations.

I'll try find it.

You may be able to use M40 rods - I understand they are 138mm?

If anyone needs any, I have a set of mint m54b30 Pistons that have been pocketed to run big high lift cams. Been cleaned and ring grooves recut.