Sign in to follow this  
dkonsta1

Gt Radial Champiro 228 opinions?

Hi team. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these tyres.

I am looking for my new 525i e39. (16")

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers Dimitrios

We had GT Champiros on the E46 when we first got it. they were OK. Not great, not bad. Just - OK.

Hankooks are better. IMO.

ask Todd @ kiwi tyres in highbrook

he did a great deal on some 16" hankook tyres for me a couple of weeks back

ask Todd @ kiwi tyres in highbrook

he did a great deal on some 16" hankook tyres for me a couple of weeks back

Similarly, I got 4x 205/50-16 Hankook H457s for $120 each plus $15 fitting from Tyre Depot in Mangere.

that doesnt sound bad at all. pretty similar to where i got mine.

lots of good places and a looooot of rip off places. just a matter of finding the right one.

I am a little bit dictated by Team Mc Millan to put the Champiros...

Here is the full story....

I bought the 525i 2003 last month. The car had 2 new uniroyals installed by the previous owner at team mc Millan in march 2015. I though sweet. I will just throw another 2 new ones on, and I am good to go.

I called them. Disaster.... The particular type is obsolete and no stock nowhere in nz.

Strange I thought and starting digging a bit.

The manufacturing date of the tyres that BMW TEAM MC MILLAN installed was week 35 year 2006 !!!@#$÷×#!!!

What the f**k? 9 years old tyres?????

Anyway called them, complained asked them to refund these and put 4 new ones on. They said fine, they only offered champiros. The other options they were offering were astronomical amounts. $1500 a set)

So not much room here if I want to exchange the "ancient" Uniroyals...

Edited by dkonsta1

The 228 isn't a cheap tyre and the Hankooks would be cheaper. (I've seen 228s advertised at over $190.)

Definitely the right thing to do though, getting them to sort it. I suspect they will insist on arranging supply and fit of th new tyres, so straight financial restitution, leaving you to choose your tyres, is unlikely. You may be able to persuade them to fit something else if you feel so inclined, but I don't think the GTs are inappropriate. There may be better, but there is (almost) always better.

Agree. This seems the best resolution at this stage if I don't want to bin the uniroyals....

By the way they did charge the previous guy $340 for the two tyres.... Shocking price for 9 years old tyres...

That seems a funny size to be running on a 16 inch E39 wheel. Isn't it 225 50 16 or something, which is much more common?

To put it in perspective I picked up Goodyear from Beaurepaires for $660 after discounts and negotiation in 205 55 16 size so you a least have some kind of comparison with a similar-ish tyre. I think a couple of years ago I got 235 45 17 Dunlops in the low $700's for my E39 as well.

Common list price in US sites for 228 is $50 US

New Zealand price is No indication of value or quality - look at the stupid money many pay for the plethora of nasty and budget Chinese and other under engineered and 'over-branded' crap tyres.

Tyre retailers must be laughing when they sell a sh*t tyre for $180 over a good tyre at $200 because the sh*t tyre would have cost them significantly less than the good tyre

Take the example of the 228 if it sells for US$50 then you could argue you can land them here for around $80 kiwi that means they could be making $100 / tyre

Compare that to a middle of the range Bridgestone with a wholesale cost of $140 retailing at $180 - the dealer makes $40 BUT you get a significantly better product for the same money.

Interesting pricing for GT tyres.

GT Radial is owned by Giti Tire who have 8 manufacturing plants in Asia, and one under construction in the US. Maybe they'er selling cheap int he US to establish a foothold for the brand, and support the production from their US-based facility in the future?

Whatever, it's a helluva mark-up somewhere for GT Radial tyres sold in NZ.

Consumer have just done a test on these tyres (205/60R16). The Champiro came out at 80% against the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 at 82%.

Best at 85% was the Maxxis Asymmet M35 (205/55R16).

If you're stuck with the Champiros they don't sound too bad - and have better wet braking than the Bridgestones.

'Consumer" couldn't do an objective tyre test ....

Or anything else it seems - I actually made them refund me for the shitty test they did on ovens. I paid $20 online to read the test, which toild me absolutely nothing I couldn't get from the brochures, then they tried to argue that I'd gotten value for money. I thought $20 to find some good info on $6K+ ovens was worthwhile... turns out asking the salesman was just as "informative"....

Yes, I do eat a lot, and am overweight.

• Like 1

Thank you all. I will have to go ahead with this. New tyres on tomorrow I will share experience. Cheers

Do you need all four? Bridgestone have a deal on at the moment where the 2nd tyre is half price or the 4th tyre is free. I was pretty impressed with their quote for 4 Potenza RE003s (2 x 255/35/18s and 2 x 225/40/18s) that came back at $1k...

• Like 1

I need four to keep it uniform. I will see if I can negotiate tomorrow with Team mc Millan .

I need four to keep it uniform. I will see if I can negotiate tomorrow with Team mc Millan .

Play tough. Lots of running around and inconvenience for you.

Be interested to see how you get on mate, I found my last tyre ordeal very interesting. Was very impressed with the Bridgestone boys in Greenlane if you want to venture down the road for better selection...

• Like 1

'Consumer" couldn't do an objective tyre test because they don't have the facilities, resources or expertise, they are no better than the totally subjective "consumer based surveys. Which are just subjective rubbish.

" nine out of 10 consumers liked their henkels bier worst flaccid under cooked and drowned in ketchup and in a stale bun"

Not only that some of their criteria are typically meaningless and totally skew the results. Having price as one of the criteria is the worst offender.

noise and comfort are nest on the list.

An objective test does specific performance assessment preferably in a blind test scenario and then adds commentary on noise comfort etc in the summary take a look at the tire rack tests as an example.

Well they measured this data somewhere....

Average stopping distance - 205/55 R16 Speed Shortest distance (m) Longest distance (m) Difference (m) Dry braking 50km/h 9.54 - Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002 10.65 - Michelin Energy XM2 1.17 80km/h 23.47m - Achilles ATR Sport 27.03 - Nexen Classe Premiere CP661a 3.55 Wet braking 50km/h 13.65 - GT Radial Champiro BAX2 17.62m - Kumho KH27 3.98 80km/h 34.04 - GT Radial Champiro BAX2 Nexen Classe Premiere CP661a 7.91

The forum won't allow comprehensible data like a .png file.

Sorry, I don't want to copy the entire Consumer report. I was merely trying to point to some actual data rather than hearsay and rants.

Hi team just wanted to follow this up.

Job done today. Quite pleased with the result. Tyre City Newmarket replaced all tyres with 4 very fresh (2015 production) Champiros 228 for me and the whole job cost $650 including balancing and alignment. Maybe not the best solution around but not too bad either.

Don't forget 225 55 16 is an odd size and more expensive than

225 50 16.

Thanks for your feedback.

I doubt you have anything at all to be concerned about. The Champiros may not be the last word in ultimate tyre technology and performance, but they are not a bad tyre by any means.

• Like 1