Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Beginners guide to coding

Okay so i know some of you guys are into switching stuff on and off and changing things around on your BMW's electrical system etc.

resetting gauge clusters. syncronising modules. Software updates. etc etc.

Have been doing some reading, but it all seems to be a bit too far above my head, there is a missing link somewhere!

Like for example i want to know how does one actually communicate with thier BMW? Both in a hardware and software sence.

ADS. MAN. ZCS. etc etc what the?

anyone got a link to my first baby picture book?

This is a realm of the BMW world i have absolutely no knowledge of!

Cheers

Andy

• Like 4

Would love a bit of a 'Dummy's Guide to...', even if just to have a theoretical understanding. Watching with interest.

• Like 2

understanding what the jargon is for a start, even before getting in to do it for myself would be good.

www.bmwcoding.com

www.bmwcoders.com

google google google..

it does get a bit techo sometimes, but once you get into it its pretty cool stuff...

• Like 1

www.bmwcoding.com

www.bmwcoders.com

google google google..

it does get a bit techo sometimes, but once you get into it its pretty cool stuff...

About 4000 hours on Google will sort it.

Problems: Depends on what cars you want to do, because they aren't all the same. I've fiddled a lot with the E39, but would be wary of anything not on similar architecture (which is really SOME of the E38 stuff, SOME E46 stuff and most of the E53 X5).

If you're looking at similar stuff to that, start with "NCS dummy", and read at least 3 different guides :-)

Andy,

keep in mind too.. if you just need something in particular doing.. post it and more than likely someone will be able to help (or say if its possible or not).

I live in the Wairarapa but work in Wellington and can help (with limitations) if you need with something...

Dean

What is the best tool to recode an instrument cluster for an E39? It must be able to change the VIN number, not too fussy about the mileage.

Cheers

What is the best tool to recode an instrument cluster for an E39? It must be able to change the VIN number, not too fussy about the mileage.

Cheers

BMW scanner 1.4

It'll do the VIN, not the milage, unless it a SUPER early E39. If you fit a cluster with lower milage, it'll update to match the car soon enough.

If you buy a cluster with HIGHER milage, the rest of the car will update to match the new cluster... so a lower milage one is the best idea ;-)

Then to code the cluster to the car settings, an INPA setup is best, though BMW Scanner generally allows manual setting of some of the options... INPA will do it automatically based on the ZCS etc. INPA etc will NOT work on a used cluster to change VIN.

Thanks Allan. Situation is like this.

My car is March 1999 with High cluster / Country = Japan

Donor car was February 1998 with High cluster / Country =NZ

I tried with Tom from the forum to do the recoding using PA Soft 1.4 through the OBD 20pin port in the engine hood.

We could see the IKE module and we could also see the two different sets of data (IKE and LCM show different VIN number and mileage as expected)

We tried to reset the ''new'' cluster to default (Mileage=000000km) in order to change the VIN but none of the two was possible.

We are now stuck. In my opinion there are two possibilities:

1. The donor cluster is as you say SUPER early version and cannot be recoded.

2. The PA Soft cannot do the trick and I need to use another software.

By the way I did try to do the trick using INPA, but I only managed to go half the way through. The program was asking me the ZME...codes or something like that, I did not have them handy so I stopped.

What do you reckon I should do? Should I look for a donor cluster dates 1999 or later?

Cheers.

Hmmm... I'm not sure on the exact changeover date, but I suspect it may have co-incided with the change from single to dual stage airbags ( starting March '99 from memory?), so maybe yours got the dual system, and the replacement is an earlier one?

They changed again, for the facelift in september 2000 too, when the 20pin plug disappeared from the engine bay, though I think that cluster is compatible with the version you probably have originally.

The replacement cluster won't be the REALLY early one, but the more common early type, which possibly uses a 935s56, instead of the later ones M35080

I suspect if Tom has trouble, there must be a hardware incompatibilty though - he's a clever guy!

You probably need to find a cluster with the same EEPROM on board, or at least from closer dates.

I've not heard of other software to do it, only physical connections to the board to change the EEPROM data, or replacement of the EEPROM.

Thanks Allan. Situation is like this.

My car is March 1999 with High cluster / Country = Japan

Donor car was February 1998 with High cluster / Country =NZ

I tried with Tom from the forum to do the recoding using PA Soft 1.4 through the OBD 20pin port in the engine hood.

We could see the IKE module and we could also see the two different sets of data (IKE and LCM show different VIN number and mileage as expected)

We tried to reset the ''new'' cluster to default (Mileage=000000km) in order to change the VIN but none of the two was possible.

We are now stuck. In my opinion there are two possibilities:

1. The donor cluster is as you say SUPER early version and cannot be recoded.

2. The PA Soft cannot do the trick and I need to use another software.

By the way I did try to do the trick using INPA, but I only managed to go half the way through. The program was asking me the ZME...codes or something like that, I did not have them handy so I stopped.

What do you reckon I should do? Should I look for a donor cluster dates 1999 or later?

Cheers.

There was an update on E39's in 09/98 so maybe a cluster change then - speculating here though....

There was an update on E39's in 09/98 so maybe a cluster change then - speculating here though....

Actually, that sounds familiar - think you are right - when the TU engines tended to take over (M52TU for the 6's etc, M62TU for the 8's)

I suspect you are EXACTLY right, in fact ;)

^ ~4000 hours is a good estimate, I've just completed the job.

The thing is there's 100 guides and not 1 of them will be exactly what you need. Then there's a matter of finding the software you need and the correct versions at that. Once that's all sorted then it's just a matter of black magic and luck. Easy.

What I can tell you is this:

• For your cars you'll need ADS, forget about OBD altogether and cut down on what you need to consider.
  • ADS will only work through a real serial port (with some exceptions) and must be run on a 32bit system.
From a software perspective there's a few things to know:
  • INPA runs on Windows and can monitor sensors, read codes, clear codes, reset service level indicators
  • NCS Expert runs on Windows and can programme modules, it's difficult to use so you add NCS Dummy to help
  • DIS (GT1) runs on Unix and up to v44 can do INPA+NCS+All test and activation procedures, after v44 it can't do NCS
  • SSS & Progman are used to to provide NCS (coding) functionality when using DIS > v44
  • You need INPA running to get DIS working in a virtual machine in Windows
My recommendations for you would be:
  • Windows (any version) 32bit
  • INPA v5.0.2 (w/EDIABAS v6.4.3)
  • DIS v44 (AKA "EasyDIS" or "EasyGT1")
I've just got my setup running yesterday so it's fresh in my mind if you have questions - might be able to help with software too.

Nice to have a summary like this.

Plan to give it a go on my E92. Doesn't scare me too much, I work in IT, think I can learn it easily enough.

Ultimate goal is to flash the BMW Performance SW myself, it's possible on some E9x cars with N55 engines. Also daytime running lights are coded out on my car, guess last owner didn't like them, I want to re-enable them, and some other tweaks maybe.

Need to get a laptop and need to hook up my car battery to my girlfriends car, apparently it's a big risk if you don't so something like that because if your battery dies while doing a flash, your DME is stuffed.

Maybe I'll get around to this.

Learn hex and the principles behind it. After that treat coding as a conversation

Can you tell me your settings

My settings are ........

I'd like change your settings

Ok

You can change my setting by giving me instructions

Thank you, Your new settings are

Ok I received that, (or I don't understand your changes to my settings)

Please confirm the settings I've sent to you

My new rpm limit is now 7500 rpm

Or. Cheapo $10 hacked ebay software tool plus half the fud on internet forums in terms of advice.

I'd like to change your settings .... send ........love you long time in qweans bestst engwrish

Module ....... I'm now a teapot ...... please take me to the dealer

The thing with coding is start with something basic on a single module and understand it well

Something like a light module unit , the language it needs and the flexibility it may offer in terms on programming. (like lights on for 2 mins after engine off)

Also learn about how the module communicates. Does the module sit on a bus , is they only way to change the module via reading and writing to an Eprom chip etc.

I'd suggest that you get something like a raspberry pi and a few learning modules to get started. It will give you the basics of o's systems and microcontroller control systems. Taking this learning back into a coding car modules will make it seem less daunting. Nice thing about the raspberry is there is a number of apps available for programming or interfacing into various car bus systems.

Edited by Neal