Sign in to follow this  
DR1FTMONKEY

E60 vs E90, thoughts and opinions welcome

Hey all,

I'm new here other than some researching for my E36's faults in the past (cheers for that btw). It's time to upgrade from the E36 as it has sadly deteriorated over the past few years.

I am considering either an E90 6 cylinder M (Preferably 325 or 330) or a 5 series M. I was set on an E90 but my buddy turned up to my work last week in a 540i M he has just bought and I fell in love with it pretty quickly, I had always thought they would be too big for my liking but I found that not to be the case. I have always liked to look of the M Sport E60s. I was also surprised to learn a 330 and 530 are fairly similar in weight .. at least closer than I expected. It seemed the interior was a step up from the E90s and it still felt fairly sporty.

I'm interested in opinions and reasons why I may be better considering one over the other, also common faults and tips for checking them out would be appreciated (I intend to get a check done professionally but don't want to do that for every car I look at).

I'd love a 550i (or an M5 for that matter) but realistically it will be 525i-540i or 325i-330i. Would also appreciate some advice on what engine I'm better to focus on as I want some power but also want to do my best to avoid any troublesome engines, not spend a fortune on gas etc. I have seen that the difference between a 07+ 530 and a 540 is not a whole lot different when weight is taken into account, other info like this would be fantastic, I'm interested to know how a 325i goes as I haven't had a chance to drive one.

I'm asking a lot for a newbie, but if you've got any advice or opinions I'd love to hear them.

Edited by DR1FTMONKEY

if fuel is a consideration i think a e60 M5 is out of the question.Genarally a 5 series will always be better appointed and a nicer car,that is after all how BMW build them.A 5 series may even be better value than a 3 series because many people dont even consider a 5 series

Thanks kiwi535, there is very little price difference between similar 3 and 5 series in the age range I'm looking at. Fuel consumption is a consideration, but not at the top of my list, however the price tag for an M5 is a little high for me at the moment, sadly. Fuel consumption more comes into the equation for me if the performance difference does not justify the increased running costs.

Love our E61 550, the gas is what you would expect at 9.5km per litre but it is 275 kW V8.

Handling is superb and we did a 3000km round trip to invercargill and back in a week and walked away fresh and still able to stand up. With a great big smile on.

Personally the larger car suits us and you get more features then what a similar spec E90 would have

Thanks Breaker, that's a great looking E61 you have there. The extra space would be beneficial as we do take trips to Queenstown and Nelson fairly regularly when we get a chance and I'm sure the passengers would appreciate the space too, so thanks for that.

We went for the E60 over the E90. The interior is far superior. I felt the E90 was a bit poverty pack in comparison.

Picked up an E60 530D. Get around 1100kms to a tank on a long trip. Average consumption is between 6.5 and 8.5 L/100kms.

Has more torque than the 530i.

I went for a Motorsport as I found the standard E60's kit to really let the car down.

Our car is actually for sale at the moment though. We are downsizing our fleet. 8 cars in the driveway is not ideal.

And surprisingly if I was to buy another modern BMW I would go for another diesel. Unless it was a true M car.

I've heard the diesels are fantastic, I would need to drive one to see if that would be for me, I don't know much about diesel engines which puts me off a little. I'll definately be opting for a Motorsport.

Even if you can afford an E60 M5, be vary wary. Fuel usage would be a minor factor. The cars are VERY expensive to maintain!

This is the common issue with people using all their resorces in buying a BMW then expecting it to cost no more than a Corolla to maintain.

I certainly can't afford a M5 at the moment, and this is also partially why I am hesitant about a v8 5 series as I expect it would be harder to source parts than it would for the common 6 cylinder engines. The additional electronics in the 5 series also makes me wonder whether they are more prone to issues, not sure if anybody knows any electrical issues which are common with the E60s?

I certainly understand the additional cost associated with maintaining a BMW over a common Japanese car, but would also like to do my best to avoid a troublesome model.. if there is one, I expect the best bet is to aim for a car which is not the first or second year of that models production cycle, and aim for the common models.

I agree with Breaker, the E60 is by far one of the best ive owned to date. Ive driven my cousins 330 E90 a few times, and its a nice car, but the E60 just seems to tick all the right boxes for a lot of people. Anything above a 530 / 530D and you wont be disappointed, plus there a few DIY modifications you can do to these that are fairly easy. But as others have said, try pick up one that has a few Motorsport option or complete motorsport.

It will of course come down to personal preference and what you feel most comfortable driving in. You should shoot down to a local dealer that stocks a range of what your looking for, and test drive a few. Would give you a better idea of what you want I would think.

Thanks FrancoisPV, yeah looks as though a 530 or 540 will be what I aim for considering the margional price difference from a 3 series, will definately be going for an M Sport, not a fan of the aesthetics without those options personally.

Edited by DR1FTMONKEY
  • Like 1

pretty sure a few years ago i wouldnt have taken a second look at an e60. now that its more affordable and im a bit older i think its the right car for many people.

the price just makes it very attractive imo

i still think the 3 series is a more "fun" car. i had a lot of fun driving 325 and 330 and its not the same in a bigger car. interiorwise the e60 is a big upgrade to the e90 though

Yeah, this is my predicament. I'm nearly 25, and am still wanting something fun to drive, but want to avoid the hassle of turbo cars and have frankly grown out of that scene, I want something respectable. I really like the E60 and the fact they are so cheap now is what really brings it to my attention. I will hopefully get some time to drive my buddies 540i this weekend which I am sure will help my decision.

Same boat. Hence the similar user name. Sold all my Turbo Japs and started driving Euros.

Then started racing Euros. Much better scene overall.

You would be surprised by the 530D. They will just keep going and going. Servicing is no more than the petrol bar oil price.

They have more tourqe than the petrol and are only a fraction slower 0-100. But having the extra torque makes them fun in the twisty roads.

Have a drive of one. They are massively popular in the UK because you loose very little performance and gain much more fuel economy.

RUC is a pain to manage. But lucky for me I work in that industry.

The 330D and 335D haul ass.

Thanks driftit, I will drive one if get a chance, they do tend to have a higher purchase price in most cases however. My concern with the engine is that I have general knowledge of petrol engines and how to do maintenance myself, but I haven't dealt with a diesel before, but I have seen how popular they are overseas so perhaps I shouldn't dismiss them quite so quickly.

Cheers for the tip.

The diesels are not that different. All the basic stuff you can still do yourself. There is a ton of guides as there is a ton of 330D's and 530D's around.

Mine is up to 200,000kms now and it hasn't missed a beat.

i think the e60 is a great choice. and its not like youre getting married to it. u can always change anytime.

• Like 1

Yeah you are right, I can always change in the future if for some reason I feel the need.

only one downside to an E60 vs an e90 in NZ.You will not find an e60 manual,if that matters