Sign in to follow this  
Guest MP0wer

I Stole an E34!

Guest MP0wer

I always had a strong feeling for the E34 which I tried hard to hide every time I saw them and wrote them off as whales, but deep down I always liked the old school headlights and aggressive yet civilized muscle look always intrigued me, the interior is far better than any 3 series I have been into, to me its a poor mans 2002. May was a horrible month for me, to top it off my 7 series was pretty much bodily destroyed by the deranged lunatic and I was getting bored of the 328i Project, and lurked around for something a bit bigger, with some more space and luxury as I would likely be moving up South for uni soon. I originally wanted a V8 540i and was willing to spend $3000 but it became hard to find one in good shape either, and in the end decided it to be more practical if I just kept my Supercharged 328i Project as the fast toy and simply replaced the 318i sedan, Then this came along, And for the price I just couldn't pass over this nice little 525i when I saw it.

Lovely car, M50B25 Engine, done 200K, CALYPSOROT METALLIC (252), been told it was sound, looks well taken care of, leather interior in good shape, got a sunroof too! I got it off a tourist who was leaving the country in the last moment, What do you think its worth? I got it all for $500. Yep! likely around 1/4 the original asking price. :)

post-52166-0-94919400-1433521552.jpg

post-52166-0-35188000-1433521554.jpg

post-52166-0-12287900-1433521556_thumb.j

post-52166-0-46276700-1433521557.jpg

So far plans for this

General Maintenance (Engine & Transmission Oil and Service)
Cosmetic Repairs (Petrol flap, headlight glass)
Volvo Lip and have the sides and lower bumper matching the bodies colour.
LSD (or might just weld it shut for 100% locking - Flame suit on)
A Ebay Euro Chip Tune
Exhaust modifications
Some Suspension work, (for now I may just settle with some sports lowering springs)

Perhaps some better Mags and Tires,(currently has 15" Style 5's)

Maybe followed by a Strut Bar and Custom Xbrace etc.

Probably with a budget or less than $1000, And when I sell it, I should get my investment back! I need it to be classy & reliable but still pondering if I should end up throwing one of my universal M50/M52 supercharger brackets (still under development will make the design available for BS members later this year) and blow it with an SC14!

Car is in Christchurch with a friend, will be picking it up soon. To which, anybody got suggestions to bring it down to north island? (dont want to spend $700 having a car company transport it for me), If you know somebody or got any other budgeted ideas let me know. I was thinking to fly down there when I am called to be interviewed by uni and then drive it back but that could be a months wait.

Edited by MP0wer
  • Like 3

Heck mate. Thats a real score.

I'll be waiting for the project thread.

Thats a hell of a drive. Christchurch to Northland. At least theres not going to be any trailers involved..lol

Edited by kulgan

an E34*

Looks like a good buy. A friend of mine just got a tidy E39 523i for $600 so they can be had real cheap if you hunt around.

Don't bother modifying the stock small capacity engine, let alone try those ebay chips (haha). Just go for a M30B35 + manual box. It would make it a far better package than trying to get more out of an undersized motor. An M30 would be quite a cost effective upgrade too. Or if you want more punch and dont mind spending more talk to Brent about an M60 / M62 conversion which he has done before.

:)

tbh id keep it as a cruiser rather than throwing money hand over fist at it like you have planned. those mods arent going to do a sh*t load to make it better to drive when its gutless.

Better off just maintaining it, maybe lowering it and leaving it.

• Like 2

thats a bloody big shopping list for $1000. dreams are free i guess lol

• Like 2

Awesome.

Good score bro.

My thoughts on your thoughts. IN the mean time enjoy driving it and finding its faults etc, strange noises. My thoughts are based on your very conservative budget. You need to triple that is my conservative view. I loved my M50b25, it's a great motor.

So far plans for this

General Maintenance (Engine & Transmission Oil and Service) -Fully agree!
Cosmetic Repairs (Petrol flap, headlight glass) -Agree
Volvo Lip and have the sides and lower bumper matching the bodies colour. -No, not for ages, if ever
LSD (or might just weld it shut for 100% locking - Flame suit on) -You're joking right?
A Ebay Euro Chip Tune -Absolutely freakin not
Exhaust modifications -umm not worth it at all, maybe cheaply
Some Suspension work, (for now I may just settle with some sports lowering springs) -Spend everything you got

Perhaps some better Mags and Tires,(currently has 15" Style 5's) -later later, just have them balanced etc.

Maybe followed by a Strut Bar and Custom Xbrace etc. later later later if ever

• Like 3

An LSD... drive it before making judgment... an auto 525i will be lucky to get one wheel going in the ice.

If its NZ new it probably has an LSD anyway. Happy to be corrected.

• Like 5

An LSD... drive it before making judgment... an auto 525i will be lucky to get one wheel going in the ice.

If its NZ new it probably has an LSD anyway. Happy to be corrected.

very unlikely, and i agree. money would be better spent on grippier tyres that work ALL the time. my e30 325i/5 doesnt evenbreak a wheel free the contis stick well

Guest MP0wer

Cheers guys, :) So far I am thinking to refresh it and keep it as a good cruiser with some bells and whistles, the M50B25 is a great motor, maybe a bit small for the body size but for $500 and a cross country trip, I cant go wrong upgrading from a 318i. Autoboxes don't bother me, I am sure it will do okay, My budget is small, I can spend more but trust me (Andy ;)), its more fun this way, I can get it done. Besides I will probably be leaving NZ in a year, not too much into long term projects or putting too much money towards a conversion.

Awesome.

Good score bro.

My thoughts on your thoughts. IN the mean time enjoy driving it and finding its faults etc, strange noises. My thoughts are based on your very conservative budget. You need to triple that is my conservative view. I loved my M50b25, it's a great motor.

So far plans for this

General Maintenance (Engine & Transmission Oil and Service) -Fully agree!
Cosmetic Repairs (Petrol flap, headlight glass) -Agree
Volvo Lip and have the sides and lower bumper matching the bodies colour. -No, not for ages, if ever
LSD (or might just weld it shut for 100% locking - Flame suit on) -You're joking right?
A Ebay Euro Chip Tune -Absolutely freakin not
Exhaust modifications -umm not worth it at all, maybe cheaply
Some Suspension work, (for now I may just settle with some sports lowering springs) -Spend everything you got

Perhaps some better Mags and Tires,(currently has 15" Style 5's) -later later, just have them balanced etc.

Maybe followed by a Strut Bar and Custom Xbrace etc. later later later if ever

You got me bro! I was joking with the welded diff though, car has a factory LSD. Will Keep the Factory 15" Style 5 Mags maybe have the basket weaver bit sprayed black or bonze or gray and get some sticky tires. My friend is a panel beater and painter, So might have the front bumper black area sprayed and just leave it alone with the side skirts and rear in the rock chip black bmw had)But I still want to throw in a euro chip in it, I can get one shipped down here for less then $50 off ebay. its a euro/nz new car (not a jap import/jatco)

So far revising my plans

General Maintenance (All Oils and Service)
Cosmetic Repairs and Tidy up interior and exterior (Petrol flap, headlight glass)
Volvo Lip

Lower the car with some Springs (May follow with Strut Bar and Custom Xbrace etc in the future).

Exhaust work (delete the cat/straight pipes and put a new muffler for a better sound?)

Edited by MP0wer

You got me bro! I was joking with the welded diff though, car has a factory LSD.

not according to the datacard. its also a UK import

• Like 1

Guest MP0wer

not according to the datacard. its also a UK import

Real OEM said its got a limited slip. Cheers, so UK import!

just because its available as a part in RealOEM doesnt mean it was fitted. RealOEM gives the part number for the OEM LSD for my old 323i E36 which i know for sure was an open diff.

keep it stock ,but make it like new without spending a fortune.That will make it as desireable as it can be when you sell.If you plan to drive it back in a month,book online asap,you will get a reasonable fare

Guest MP0wer

Thanks Everyone for their suggestions. Not really want to bother myself with the diff, although now I hope my joke doesn't become a reality. :ph34r: All in all, I'm more concerned with trying to hunt down some cheap tickets at grab a seat this month. Then I'll keep it on the down low, doing the small restorations/repairs/maintain/service, then maybe lowering it and adding a muffler and call it a day. Speaking of which, I need a break and restore some order in my life, these night shifts are killing me. :(

Edited by MP0wer
  • Like 1

I can relate to the night shifts. So quiet. At least I get to troll through all the forums reading all can can on BMW's. 3:20am. Nice to see I'm not the only one awake and at work at this time of the morning.

Guest MP0wer

Same here, just not natural for us humans, then again what is these days. Sometimes the nights simply amplify the feeling of quietness even among the life and crowd in the day. Still haven't been able to get over my hell of a month in May.

Reorganizing and Changing everything from this week to go back to my plans. :)

Edited by MP0wer