Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Has VW just killed the Diesel car?

Copper telephone lines have very little to do with a Telecommunications companies' power consumption.

Fibre like Copper needs servers, exchanges, multiplexors and other devices to put the services we buy onto a network and maintain an adequate signal level.

Those are the items that consume the power.

Tiwai consumes about 15% of the available electricity in NZ and the agreement is in place for another two years.

Power demand has been flat / falling across the country for the last 3-4 years.

your landline telephone will still work in a power cut because it is powered from the local exchange(for a while)

your landline telephone will still work in a power cut because it is powered from the local exchange(for a while)

Unless its a cordless. Then you'd have to use your mobile..

Cars are always targeted as they are thought to be the worst polluters in the towns and cities. Out of sight and out of mind applies to things like power stations, ships, steam trains, etc.

Push bikes for all...

What about Audi Q7's i mean busted oil ships. They make a mess of the ocean.

Unless its a cordless. Then you'd have to use your mobile..

if widespread power cuts mobile may be out too

Sorry but thats completely wrong

landlines are 50v DC constant and a ringtone is 75AC.

they are not passive

analogue phones all run on 48v dc

digital phones like an early push button phone had no power cord but still need voltage to drive the transistors

exchanges have huge generators to power the lines when power went out if that runs out your phones all go dead

just get a voltmeter out if you don't believe me

• Like 4

just get a voltmeter out if you don't believe me

Or fit an alligator clip onto each wire, clip one on each nipple, and then get someone to phone the line... the initial tingle will be replaced by a strong rythmic tremor that'll make you scream :lol: (No, I didn't try it!)

Not as bad as the exercycle I wrote off yesterday after it fed 115VAC at 8 Amps into me through the heart rate monitor pads. In hindsight, doing the Electrical Safety test BEFORE the functional test would have been a good idea.

• Like 1

Or fit an alligator clip onto each wire, clip one on each nipple, and then get someone to phone the line... the initial tingle will be replaced by a strong rythmic tremor that'll make you scream :lol: (No, I didn't try it!)

Not as bad as the exercycle I wrote off yesterday after it fed 115VAC at 8 Amps into me through the heart rate monitor pads. In hindsight, doing the Electrical Safety test BEFORE the functional test would have been a good idea.

The alligator clips can be substituted for bare wires on the tongue for the slightly less masochistically inclined among us.

However, your misadventure with the exercycle made me laugh to the point of an asthma attack - hearing of smart people doing REALLY stupid things makes me feel so much better about myself. Kudos, Allan :D

hearing of smart people doing REALLY stupid things makes me feel so much better about myself. Kudos, Allan :D

Who told you I was smart??? You may have me confused with someone else :lol:

Conveniently, it was in the Dialysis waiting room, and the crash cart is just around the corner B) Glad I didn't need it! The exercycle is in lots of pieces now, and the cool bits are going home for nerd projects.

• Like 1

Copper telephone lines have very little to do with a Telecommunications companies' power consumption.

Fibre like Copper needs servers, exchanges, multiplexors and other devices to put the services we buy onto a network and maintain an adequate signal level.

dude just stop please

• Like 2