Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

e39 Noob...

Hi all

Long time Beemer admirer - first time owner (the 316 compact I owned in Aussie does NOT count lol) after taking a Jap import from a car yard for an AA check in the mid 90's and finding out it was a cut and shut and cut and shut again - yes... it was three seperate cars!!!...

I got Treone's ex Jap 525 M yesterday, gave it a groom and it looks great... of course, it's not perfect (no 14 year old car is) so I'm keen for advice on ICE updates.

The CD/tape doesn't work and of course there's no BT or USB capability. I'm on a tight budget and can't justify throwing a grand or more at it - but if anyone has some suggestions on what can be done to provide some digital options that'd be appreciated.

Aside from that (and a replacement HVAC button) it's pretty straight and should be a good to/from work cruiser.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your collective advice and experiences :)

post-53018-0-62678300-1447893216.png

• Like 1

Nice looking E39 you've found.

Welcome to the "Bimmer" addiction and to the forum.

• Like 1

great car for the price. a little bit low in terms of power for my liking but as you said, it would make an excellent to and from work cruiser. and for the price, cant really go wrong!

As always, if you dont have a huge amount of money to spend - best thing to do are basic maintenance items if not done recently. most obvious being engine oil and filter. really cant go wrong with doing this.

next step is a scan to see any fault codes for any malfnctions or errors that it may have or may have had in the past.

then you can spend money on luxury thingys like aux (aux is the cheapest and easiest) or dynavins

• Like 1

Yeah, oil and filter was done a few mths back.

The aux input looks like the way to go without going overboard on the $$$$ - and it'll at least allow me to get some tunes going :)

It's definitely not quick, but whilst commuting that's not really an issue... will keep me going for 6-12 mths then might be in a position to upgrade. (wishful thinking lol)

• Like 1

even if it was only done a few months back you never know if it was done using the correct grade oil and genuine filter etc. always good to be sure with this i reckon.

im not 100% sure but check online or physically on the back of your unit, there might be rca plugs to connect for aux. i believe the newer headunits have this built in.

keep an eye out for any cooling system stuff - i think i remember it as around 14xxxx ks? if it hasnt been done, then it will be due very soon.

Yeah, it's been done at some stage since coming into NZ but no idea when (radiator shop in Chch put a sticker on it).

Will definitely check the RCA thing, gotta get a speaker replaced too so will do it all at once.

Yeah, oil and filter was done a few mths back.

The aux input looks like the way to go without going overboard on the $$$$ - and it'll at least allow me to get some tunes going :)

It's definitely not quick, but whilst commuting that's not really an issue... will keep me going for 6-12 mths then might be in a position to upgrade. (wishful thinking lol)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iClever-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Convenient-Activation/dp/B00L4Y98QI

Plugs into your Aux port and cig lighter (for power) to give you BT audio and handsfree calls. I have it, it's awesome :)

If your car has steering wheel controls you might want to look into the Grom Bluetooth kit. It takes the place of the CD stacker. Installed one on my E46 after buying online for about $150 (probably closer to $200 now thanks to the exchange rate.

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

Yeah the BT looks like the option... went in to Abtec in Petone and (as luck would have it) they'd just finished putting a single-din with the after market replacement surround into. Which looked fine - and whilst my initial thoughts were to go down that route, I've since realised while I'll gain in the sense of an easy to use digital music player, I'll lose some of the computer stuff, not to mention the non-originality and it's also more cost than a BT solution.

Likely to go BT and then if I win Lotto I'll get a Dynavin lol