Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

1995 E36 318Ti Barge Like Handling and Wobbly Steering wheel when Brak

I picked up a 1995 E36 318Ti as a run about while I sort out the lemon.

It was cheap, motor and box feel strong, but the handling...

So I figured maybe they all just handle rubbish & I'm pampered with my adjustables and direzas on the E30, i.e. expecting too much.

To describe it, better, basically the handling feels like my old Nissan Terrano, after I put in 2" spring lift, 2" body lift, and 32" mud tyres. Wallows it's way through corners at speed.

Or maybe there are like 5 or 6 really straight forward things I can adjust/replace to get it back on track (pun?)

The steering wheel wobble I'd normally put down to warped disks, but maybe there is something more nefarious at play? If it's of relevance, the steering wheel itself is not central when driving straight, it's about 20ish degrees off.

Edited by Charlie F.

Probably original shocks, and all the items martin mentioned likely need looking at. Can almost guarantee shocks are original, as shock wear isn't factored into a WOF - being a cheap car in NZ it's likely just been maintained to "it'll pass a wof' standard.

Have seen steering wheels off centre for a few reasons, have also read posts about it happening when a bolt is put in backwards - will pay to go over all suspension components

i found replacing the front lower control arms and bushses on my old E36 made a hell of a difference in the front end tightening up.

i think if you bought it as a run about, keep it at that. once you start tinkering with it, it will never end, and by the time you're done with the suspension and $800 later, you might want/need to do the cooling system, then you might suddenly feel like repowering it, then msport interior-ing it, blah blah.

if it drives, just get a wheel alignment and check oil levels. meh

• Like 2

I always found not owning a ti to be quite a nice experience :P

Your other experiences in life are probably very narrow and confused as well

• Like 1

nothing wrong with a ti, i had one as a run about and it was great except the gearbox in mine was rubbish but otherwise its a neat little daily driver that still gives you the feeling of a bmw.