Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Nelson to Picton

So I'm driving a car up from Nelson to Auckland this Friday. Someone please tell me that I'm not a fool and that we will have enough time.

So our flight apparently lands in Nelson around 0805. Then we have to drive the twisties all the way to Picton to be ready for boarding no less than an hour before departure. The ferry departs around 1045 so we've got to be there by 0945.

Is an hour and a half cutting it too fine? I think we should just book the ferry later.

And for those that know, will a little under an hour before departure matter too much?

Edited by Toast

if you're up for a challenge i bought something from trademe and its in nelson. i dare you to pick it up and bring it back for me. all within your time limit.

ha ha ha

• Like 2

Factor in up to 15 mins by the time the plane lands til you get out of the airport. That's if it's running on time. Then a sh*t yarn with the guy you bought it off. Then stopping into the servo to fill it up/take a piss. I'd say yep book the later ferry. Nice bit of the country not a bad idea to have a few hrs up your sleeve for a look around as well.

• Like 2

It's just over 100KM so you should do it easily in 1 1/2 hours.

• Like 1

I'd say that's cutting it a little fine, google is pretty generous with the suggested trip time of 1:45, roadworks and holiday traffic, and getting out of the airport will slow you down.

Book a later ferry and go to golden bay for a coffee, takaka hill has to be one of the best test routes for any car in nz, 365 corners and like 800m of elevation gain and loss.

• Like 1

So I think the consensus is: drive fast enough and anything's possible. Think sensibly and book the later departure.

Thanks for the replies!

if you're up for a challenge i bought something from trademe and its in nelson. i dare you to pick it up and bring it back for me. all within your time limit.

ha ha ha

If it were a motorbike I'd take you on B)
  • Like 1

Take a later trip and go via Queen Charlotte sound, you won't regret it, corners everywhere :)

Otherwise an hour 15 trip with no real issues

And you can PU Kyu's bits :ph34r: