Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Wheel nut weight differences

I was staring at my car earlier tonight and I had a brainwave about the fact I'm running 4 standard wheel nuts plus a non OEM wheel locking nut - so does that mean there's an imbalance of weights on the hub?

I proceeded to remove the two types and weigh them, a found a fairly significant difference of 10 grams is between them.

wheel_nuts.jpg

Considering wheel balancing weights are this vicinity it does make me wonder if even the slightest difference in wheel nut weights could generate a tinny shimmy through the hub.

Probably not enough to notice but I think technically it stands to reason all 5 nuts on each hub should be matching.

Has anyone thought about such minor details before?

could be right, but weight so close to the center of the hub, wouldnt thing it would matter, pretty sure they wegiht has exponentially more effect as it gets further from the hub, and 10g at 8" out (on a 16" wheel) but not at half an inch??

• Like 2

yea not much effect being close to the hub , but I use the bmw hollow centre wheel bolts on my e28 to save some weight to make it go faster :)

I hear some posche models use titanium wheel bolts etc its like picking up plastic bolts

The Porsche 928 uses lightweight aluminum nuts. Very, very light indeed.

• Like 1

Yeah, the proximity to the center of rotation would be the main factor to counter any real effect, but my mind can't help but dislike the fact one of the 5 nuts is still needlessly lighter!

Aluminium nuts would be fine but I wouldn't want to be using aluminium studs or bolts.

And yeah, 10 gms at 75 mm won't make any material difference.