Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

M52TU head air pressure?

Wasn't really sure what to title this thread!

Seems to be excessively high air pressure in the head

1/ has blown out the old rocker cover seal end of last year

2/ then it cracked the old rocker cover down in the coil valley so replaced with a new one

3/ then a one of the o rings started leaking,

4/ now cracked the cover in a different place.

Can't help but wonder if the hole in the intake manifold it had when I brought the car is also related???? Or maybe just coincedence.

When you take the oil cap off after a drive it makes the sound like you are opening a bottle of coke with air rushing out

I replaced the PCV system using OEM parts before finding the hole in the intake, which I had someone else swap over, possibly this hasn't been put back together properly??

Any other ideas?

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Crankcase /pcv not venting properly, possibly blocked. Or excessive blowby.

So new parts could be faulty?

Compression is good but I know it's not strictly the correct method to check blow by as a possibility

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

not sure but i doubt it as the throttle is electronic on this car it is not mechanical

Can you take a pic of the manifold with the hole in it?

nope went through our plastics shredder/recycler at work many months ago

not sure but i doubt it as the throttle is electronic on this car it is not mechanical

Oh ok, reason i ask is mine does something similar, i can hear pressure leak out slowly from somewhere, when i press the gas pedal it releases it quickly, i figured it was coming from the throttle body and i just tried the oil cap trick and mine does the same.

I also noticed a tiny oil leak from the rocker cover recently as i would smell it when it dripped onto the exhaust manifold so have a new gasket but am now wanting to investigate this a bit more now...

Car has cable right? Throttle is mechanical. Has lecky motor next to it for TPS cruise ASC etc.

Leak down test?

Run compressed air into the cylinder and listen for the sound of air coming out the oil cap?

Car has cable right? Throttle is mechanical. Has lecky motor next to it for TPS cruise ASC etc.

yep but Glenn told me way back that there is no mechanical connection between the cable and the throttle plate, i have no reason to doubt. and on my scanner it comes up with seperate readings for pedal position and throttle position

so got up early today and got in there to have a look, the o ring is pinched between the oil separator and the hose that leads to the balance bar over the intake.

also i believe the hose that goes from the rocker cover to the separator is upside down.

Looks like the guy i paid to swap the intake manifold over won't be getting any more work from me.

Pisses me off when professionals skite they are so much better than back yarders and then do this sort of crap.

Also there is a lot of oil in the intake side of the separator valve. not sure if that is normal or perhaps this valve is dead on arrival?

2B686425-A806-4DCA-A3BD-E66EE0408215_zps

A58C1FB6-3FD8-40A8-AD8E-39D650B3B425_zps

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Pisses me off when professionals skite they are so much better than back yarders and then do this sort of crap.

Sometimes, a "professional" is just a backyarder with a shop... More often than you'd think too.

Of course, sometimes mistakes happen too.

Of all the non-dealer shops in town here, there are only a handful I'd ever let touch my car. Actually, I can only think of 4 off the top of my head, and one is the Subaru Service Agent, so I probably wouldn't take the E39 there unless it was a generic repair ;). That's why I usually just do it myself. Then I only have to fix MY mistakes :lol:.

At least you found something.

I could make a quite a list of ones that I wouldn't use... unless it was a last resort; like my Mum couldn't manage to fix it with a bread knife and some tape first.

Did you get this fixed?

Sometimes the hose from the valve to the dip stick is blocked or the dip stick tube is blocked. This results in the oil not draining into the sump. Need to be able to blow air down the tube and hear bubbles in the sump.

If there is a blockage, the valve fills with oil, oil goes into the manifold (slowly) and the crank case is pressurized by blow by.