Sign in to follow this  
M3_E46

E92 M3 Competition Package... Or not?

Hi all,

Didn't know where to post this, so feel free to move if need be.

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but after a hiatus to an RS4 after my E46 M3, I want to buy an E92 M3 Competition Package. Specifically I am very close to agreeing to buy this one: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1017986892.htm

However, before buying it I want to be 100% sure it is a competition package, and after a lot of research I can't seem to confirm it, in fact it's looking like it isn't.

I have run the VIN through a VIN decoder and also spoken to Jerry Clayton BMW and they cannot see the Competition Package Option (Code S7MAA) any where.

I also gathered from my research that the ZCP Competition Package was not started until MY2011, however I then spoke to Armstrong Prestige who have a 2008 M3 advertised as a Competition Package (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1061052373.htm), the salesman couldn't really confirm how to definitively tell it was a Competition Package. So I also ran the VIN on that car through a decoder and that had no sign of the option either.

I've spent countless hours looking through overseas forums for info but haven't come up with anything definitive, so I'm hoping you guys can help?!

Cheers,

Scott

Im gonna say that if it doesnt have the option code in the spec list then it isnt a comp package.

the blue one has a lot of go fast bits that look like add ons not factory.

Im gonna say that if it doesnt have the option code in the spec list then it isnt a comp package.

the blue one has a lot of go fast bits that look like add ons not factory.

I'm leaning that way too. I also want to confirm because when it comes time to sell it obviously a competition package will fetch more money.

It does, even more so when you view it, aftermarket exhaust etc. which I quite like. But don't want to pay big money for it without being sure it is competition package.

Generally that's the way it is...if not found within the build specs for that particular vehicle, it is highly unlikely it would be a "mysterious" Option, you can find all the right info on older builds....so trust your gut instinct.

Just like when people buy knock off AC Schnitzer crap on the older cars and call them AC Schnitzer editions, same will happen for other cars where they have special versions.

Ask the seller to confirm how they've confirmed it's a "Competition Package" - if they can't provide proof then they can't claim it is in the auction.

So, either they have proof or they're misrepresenting and would have to alter the auction and probably their asking price.

If it isn't showing the 7MA option code, then it is NOT a factory competition pack.

Aren't there supposed to be two big "M" mode buttons on the steering wheel with the competition pack? Not the power/Dsc/VDC buttons shown in the photos.

Thanks for the help guys, lastnight I told the seller that I would buy it if he could definitively confirm that it is a Competition Package. He sent back an email saying:

"the Interlagos Blue is exclusive to the competition pack so looks legit with the other obvious comp pack like the EDC, carbon, steering wheel 'forged alloys' etc"

Either this guy is clutching at straws or he just doesn't know what he's talking about. After some more research, Interlagos Blue was available exclusively to the E46 ZCP, however, any E92 could be ordered in the colour, also EDC was just an option which could be put on any E92 M3. The carbon, steering wheel and forged alloys are all obviously aftermarket.

Also, interestingly, he has changed his Trade Me listing since I asked him to confirm. It now has no mention of Comp Pack any where except for the title.

Long story short, I'm going to book it in at Jerry Clayton BMW for a PPI this week which should confirm either way. I'll let you know the verdict!

• Like 2

^ im going to say that 99.9% is not competition package but still a nice car :)

it's gotta be worth $40k, anyway.

So if anyone is still interested, ended up confirming it wasn't a competition package. But bought it anyway for a pretty heavily discounted figure.

Picking it up tomorrow, will put some better pics up once I get it if, again, anyone is interested.

• Like 1

good score. Like I said, gotta be worth $40k; it was certainly one of those 'cars on my list that I'd just buy straightaway if I won lotto on Saturday night' #8 )