Sign in to follow this  
bestexhaust

Which performance BMW?

I'm looking at getting a RWD BMW M model, fairly limited $$$ so a brand new M2 or M3 is not an option.

Options I'm looking at are:

E60 M5

- mechancial/upkeep risk

- affordable to buy, nearly even changeover cost with my current car

Z4M

- right on the limit of my price range

- great car

- limited room for luggage

1M

- seems like the best middle option within my price range

E9x M3

- just outside my price range

Thoughts? Ideas?

Mike

E60/61 m5 is a LOT of car for the money, but be prepared to spend to keep it. Really depends what you need, I would love a 1M but need a bigger car, and cant have 2 M cars at this stage!

• Like 2

Thanks Andrew. I've had similar advice from other e60/e61 M5 owners. :)

Oh so tempting too, as my wife likes to drive my cars, and she doesn't drive manual transmission, to the paddles make it usable for her. Otherwise I'd get a Manual Transmission car, as the Audi slushbox is driving me nuts (even with tiptronic).

Andrew what are the big ticket expenses on the V10 if you don't mind sharing in your ownership? Seems mighty tempting at the price and what you get.

e9x m3 is just outside of your pricerange but a 1m is within it?
What world are you living in? 1m's are 2x the value of an e92 m3 AFAIK, but for resale purposes would easily be the best choice. in 5 years they'll probably have doubled in price.

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 1

Do you need significant luggage capacity? If not, I'd definitely go for the Z4M. No 'M' is going to be cheap to run, but this'll be one of the less expensive options.

It's also great fun to drive, has top up/top down versatility (increasing carrying space? ;) ), and a little different.

Andrew what are the big ticket expenses on the V10 if you don't mind sharing in your ownership? Seems mighty tempting at the price and what you get.

Everything.

;)

I am keeping mine well looked after but there are cheaper options if you want to go hunting on the net.

Oil service $1000

New battery $600

Clutch / flywheel $5000

Throttle body actuator $1100 each

New diff oil seals $900

Fuel $ all the money you have left!!

All through JCBMW at this stage.

• Like 1

How about the E39 M5 instead? Plenty of 'M' performance.

Edit: Didn't realise you needed an auto as your wife would want to drive too. Still get an E39 M5, <_< .

Edited by Contrails

What is your pricerange? I'm guessing around the 50k mark?

Do you want coupe or sedan? What do you need as far as practicality goes?

If you don't need sedan, the coupes look nicer and are more fun...

M6 is also an option if you want the V10. Problem is the V10 cars are both rather ugly (IMO), but they make up fort it with the sound...

Also, SMG gearbox that eats pumps and clutches, and has a reputation for being clunky so not the nicest around town, they will have the biggest maintenance bills.

E92 M3 could be a good balance, still some decent room for storage. Coupe has fold-down rear seats so heaps of room for hauling s**t. The V8 sounds awesome.

Edit: At that price range you may want to look at Porsche Caymans as well...

Edited by Matth5

^^ Agree! ^^

Not sure what your starting point is but you need to go into 'M' ownership with open eyes.

Which ever model you decide, my advice is:

Buy the best example you can within your budget (include a mechanical warranty!)

Be prepared to pay a bit of a premium on general servicing costs and parts (whether dealer or independent)

Your biggest expense will be fuel - expect an average of 'ridiculous' for an e60 M5 (however it is a V10 that loves the high revs!)

Oh and SMG is not an around town automatic...

If you are considering an e60 M5 then I recommend watching the Top Gear review - most things Clarkson says is absolutely true both good and bad!

Would be interested to hear about S4 ownership - I have always been curious of Audi ownership :-)

Both the zm and 1m hold prices well seems like the mcoupe is slowly going up in value.

Saw a 1m put out higher torque and kW figures that BMW quote. It would be my pick

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1