Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Small BMW related trip

Last weekend I went up to Bimmerfest East in New Jersey from my home in DC.
I don't own a car here yet as I haven't had a need for one and have been doing a ton of travel with little time.  So we quite often rent a car from a peer to peer rental company called Turo.  If you have a spare car or are not using yours and want to make some money, this is where you list it.  Ranging from junk like Toyota Prius right up to the latest Ferrari's.

Great thing is there are plenty of BMW's.  And this time I went for something practical that would still be interesting.  So we grabbed a cheap E60 550i Motorsport.  Manual.  Yep unlike NZ many of the BMW's are still manual.  Sadly the 2016 M3 I wanted was being used.  550i was $85 per day and the M3 is $109 per day.  And these are peoples cars so they are looked after.

DSC_0351_zpswxlzkb7s.jpg

Before heading up to Bimmerfest we went to a very popular local Cars and Coffee event called Katies Cars and Coffee.  It is a little coffee house just up the Potomac River which has some nice winding roads through the forest on the way there.  Being close to DC there is pretty nice cars that turn up.

I took a whole heap of photos on my crap point and shoot.  Click the link.  I was a bit gutted to see a whole bunch of E30 M3's hooning their way there after I had to leave early to get on my way north.  Next time.

https://goo.gl/photos/QzJWDBgKwxSrnLPw5

P1040128_zpszszewdsi.jpg

The drive up to New Jersey was interesting though.  There were a lot of others heading up there in their BMW's also.  But the driving was pretty bullshit really.  Every stereotype that comes with owning a BMW was on display.  There were even groups racing.  I have never seen less indicating, more cutting off, tailgating and general sh*t "My cars ability is the only driving skills I have" in my life.  But apparently this is all normal here.

The event itself is a two day one.  It is at Raceway Park which has both a Drag strip and a circuit track.  Sunday is usually the busiest day but Saturday had filled out nicely too.  The quality of the cars was pretty high.  Most of the cars were newer models and most of them were M cars.  There would have been a good 30ish M4's.  And the new M2 was featured quite well too.  Quite a few done up M2's already.  Some of the tuning houses were there too.  And the big parts suppliers.  BMW had their own stand and even brought along Bikes.  They were doing some VR thing and having people sit of the bikes for immersion.

Drag racing was not bad.  There was a turbo E46 M3 running 9's.  And a couple of E60 M5's screaming their way into the low 11's.

Once again here is some photos from the event.

https://goo.gl/photos/mGEmp23ZGRipNUVo6

P1040245_zpsmf1kwwtz.jpg

Till the next event.  No doubt some more of Katies Cars and Coffee for the variety.  Also trying to plan to meet the RoadKill crew at some stage.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 5

Great pics.

What was in that 666csl?

I'm not entirely sure. It looked like an M30 block. But everything else was customer.

Love the front picnic tables in the E38, looks factory... maybe it is??? haven't seen it before

• Like 1

Picnic tables have been custom made but a nice touch. And I'm liking to 20 inch style 32's.

13876531_1748254852111376_62078250480938

Edited by kulgan

Hmm, I think what they have in the front is interesting...

C1Qq-fAyE7CWInuSh-hfqVnVTHmrpnr6gOelRtCL

though note they've left cigars outside of the humidor, which is a no-no, as it lighting them from anything other than a splint or well-burned match - that lighter is out of place.

It's beautifully prepped, but if you have to write on something that it's presidential, well...

m40Il9-eEm5R6vu5YJQWAhFxeSM3w2w_BwNUL5Yk

Brilliant show, and thanks for giving us poor boys and gals down here a taste of it!  This e36 Ti really impressed me:

Xi6mdY3GhSlLSdnsSBQDFZqDPFLagPkUqIDmnpDJ