Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Cheap E36 318iS sanity check

Looking for a shopping trolley/weekend toy and came across a 4 door Southafrican 318iS Motorsport with interesting options.

but, it's had a helluva life by the looks of its ownership history including being registered to a pick a part at some point... Been deregged and reregged at least once

dude only wants $1700 for it, gearbox won't stay in 3rd when decelerating and aparently front windows won't stay on rails.

i have a getrag 260 I can probably make fit, and if the motor lunches itself id put something more exciting in it anyway...

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/NA37235/EN/

https://carjam.co.nz/report/?ref=AFAF414F

should I run for the hills? or is it worth a gamble...

9 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Well e36 parts are in abundance and not too expensive I think? 

That's true, i have this horror idea that at pickapart it was picked apart and put back together with compact parts...  or it was somthing mundane but serious seeming and someone had it salvaged for nothing, ended up at pickapart who fixed it and sold it complete.  

Needs wheel alignment and whatever would make the front right wheel able to wiggle in/out toe, but made an offer based on having the BBS wheels not the rubbish chromes, will wait and see

Looks like he accepted my offer and didn't realise I only wanted one set of wheels included... Anyone into shadow chrome?

getrag 260 wont fit a 4 cylinder because of bell housing differences... it will fit if you get it cut and welded. bit of a job though.

G220 conversions pop up frequently and often cheap anyway, worst case grab one of them.

2 hours ago, 3pedals said:

More like B(buffalo)  sport --------- that ride height is seriously "up there"  more suited for cross country not  tarmac

Does seem high for an M sport doesn't it... 

Reckon you'll get bored of what's left of the 103kw. If you're planning on doing a manual conversion with your 260 box wouldn't it be better to find a decent 6cyl auto e36? Like a 328i ? 

29 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Reckon you'll get bored of what's left of the 103kw. If you're planning on doing a manual conversion with your 260 box wouldn't it be better to find a decent 6cyl auto e36? Like a 328i ? 

It's possible yes, but most of the 328's are 3.5k up, the difference would buy me a turbo kit ;o)

4 minutes ago, EURO V8 said:

It's possible yes, but most of the 328's are 3.5k up, the difference would buy me a turbo kit ;o)

That include the fuel system, cert, brake upgrades and tune? :-D

4 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

That include the fuel system, cert, brake upgrades and tune? :-D

My Libero never needed any of that carry on ;o)

It has the same or slightly more power than my antique M20B23, that was plenty of power to put smiles on my dials in the port hills.

Edited by EURO V8

I drive a 318is MS, well, I've owned it for 3 weeks and have driven it once.
Boring and slow as hell. My Paseo is quicker and handles better.
Looks nice though.

Spend the money on a 328, or if you really want to turbo something, buy a 325 with an m50b25.

Edited by Rubix

Wonder if Kulgans 740 is still available, no replacement for displacement, right?

An iS should be a fun car to drive, even with less power than many have become used to. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gjm said:

An iS should be a fun car to drive, even with less power than many have become used to. 

I should probably drive mine a bit more and find out. :P

1 minute ago, Rubix said:

I should probably drive mine a bit more and find out. :P

Is it manual? It should be much more fun than a Paseo unless the suspension is completely flogged and motor rooted.

1 hour ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Whats left? Probably 102kw. Takes some major engine issues with most BMW motors for a substantial drop in power, my M20 was making within 5kw of factory numbers at 25yrs old! And thats a dinosaur motor!

Looks a bit on stilts at the front... Probably had suspension replaced with stock, non-iS parts.

35 minutes ago, huff3r said:

Is it manual? It should be much more fun than a Paseo unless the suspension is completely flogged and motor rooted.

Whats left? Probably 102kw. Takes some major engine issues with most BMW motors for a substantial drop in power, my M20 was making within 5kw of factory numbers at 25yrs old! And thats a dinosaur motor!

They were all manual.
Suspension is great (new bilsteins in the rear) - Motor is fine. Whole car is mint, but I just don't drive it like I do the paseo (Which I bought for $500 and don't give a crap about, so I drive it like a rental car at all times).
I'll drive it more come summer, but I did downgrade from an M3 so definitely missing a bit of power :P

did you buy dan's 318is? what size tyres are you running on the style 32s? and what is the wheel specs/offset?