Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

Any common problems with 318ti and N42 engine?

Hi

Looking at several 318ti cars with N42 engines.  Getting one for my daughter.  I'm not familiar with the E46 or the N42 engine.  Are there any common issues I should be checking for?

Cheers

Murray

One car of interest has an oil leak on the front of the engine, see photo.

It looks to be a leaking sensor.  Is this a hard repair? Change O ring or change sensor?

Does the N42 engine have a common CCV system problem?  Thinking about why the sensor would be leaking.  Maybe a pressurised crank case due to a blocked CCV?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Murray

20161123_133450_resized.jpg

Hello Murray,

N42 were to begin! a Pandora box  use the search button feature on here to get a better idea, oil leaks, vacuum pump, cooling system, front window regulators, front suspension bushes just a few not only confined to the e46 compact

The N42 happens to be one of the worst engines BMW ever produced.
Find a 325ti if possible.

• Like 2

E46's are good cars but avoid the N42 and N46 engines at all costs.

The earlier E46 318i had the M43 engine which is fine.

The six cylinders are by far and away the better engine though.

• Like 2

Common problems? Many, sadly, on the N42.

As Nathan said, the early E46 got the M43 TU engine. That one is a good 'un - not so exciting to drive, but reliable, simple to work on, and very economical.

• Like 1

We have had a e46 318ti for over 3 years. Initially had to replace coils and ccv but apart from that it has been a reliable runner for about 40k. Uses oil though which I've been told to expect. Might have to touch some wood now haha. 

Oh and lots of clutch shudder when hot. Worse than my track cars lightweight flywheel/heavy duty clutch combo. 

Edited by BMRBOI

3 hours ago, BMRBOI said:

We have had a e46 318ti for over 3 years. Initially had to replace coils and ccv but apart from that it has been a reliable runner for about 40k. Uses oil though which I've been told to expect. Might have to touch some wood now haha. 

Oh and lots of clutch shudder when hot. Worse than my track cars lightweight flywheel/heavy duty clutch combo. 

If you have the n42 or n46 motor the valve stem seals will fail. This requires a top half motor reconditioning.

Dont ask me how I know.

As everybody here is saying.... n42 engine sucks! Alltho another option is the slightly older E36 318Ti, IMO far better looking (Quite biased opinion here) however if you can pickup a good example that has been well maintained you can be sweet! Head gaskits seem to be the common issue with the older m44 and m42 engines however I had an m44 from 170xxxkm to about 250xxx km and it ran sweet the entire time! Only had normal maintenance such as oil changes. Only one issue was the Crank position sensor however it wasn't too much of an issue to fix and was the only real issue over the 7 years I ran that engine! P.S. there is a really cool 330Ti on trademe atm for about 9k... its got an m52b28 stroked engine in it, a LOT of fun!!!

Thank you everyone for the responses.

As suggested I've "run" and dropped any idea of buying a car with a N42 engine.  Now looking at cars with the more familiar M52TU and M54 engines.

Regards

Muzz

• Like 1