Karter16

Karter16's E46 M3 Journal

Got a chance this morning to quickly sort out and consolidate the various parts that have arrived over the last 6 weeks. I now have most of what I need to commence on the 6 point RSM/RACP brace install. I still have a few bits and pieces to get:

• Replacement diff fluid
  • LH side tray to go with the non-CD changer trunk lining
  • End caps for the 2x exposed tube ends on the brace
  • Rubber seals/grommets for where the brace goes through the top layer of sheet metal to the rear RACP threaded sections

I'm looking forward to getting the new rear diff cover on and enjoying the new bushes. I'm curious to see if/what difference it makes.

Not pictured below is the brace and the LH side trunk lining.

IMG_9870.thumb.jpeg.3fc7a872942b4f7096973e291e689c3d.jpeg

IMG_9871.thumb.jpeg.b00ac92c504e3c60da297027b1ac38ee.jpeg

I also now have in hand most of the OE items that I need for the airbox install. I'm still waiting on the CSL dipstick tube (that's currently slated to arrive sometime in November), and I have a few more bits and pieces to get for the wiring side of things, but most of the key bits are now in.

IMG_9868.thumb.jpeg.11519ec242de8f6914e94ac59dda4383.jpeg

I also ordered the airbox itself yesterday from Karbonius. With their standard 12 week lead time the theory is that it should arrive around Christmas or so, which will then mean I can play round with it over my (southern hemisphere) summer break. There'll be some downtime while I work through the install, get the wiring install just how I want it, iterate on the one piece SMG expansion tank bracket, etc. so summer break will be the perfect time for that.

I'll also be working on my own M3/CSL hybrid tune (basically doing a worse job of the amazing work that Bry5on (over on NAM3Forum) is doing). This is probably the part I'm most excited about to be honest - as someone who studied as an embedded systems engineer (and now spends their days as an IT consultant) it's great fun getting into the weeds of the DME.

The one thing for the install that I haven't 100% committed on is the snorkel. I'm 85% sure I'll go with the Haimus resin snorkel, but keep holding off actually ordering it. I like the idea of the OE snorkel, but given my approach of keeping everything reversible/as unadulterated as possible, I'm not super keen on having to add the H-Bridge and associated componentry to the DME, plus the significant additional expense for something that I'm not confident would make that much difference to the end result. 

I love the OE snorkel look (flat black contrasts well with the CF intake) and for this reason am not a fan of the Karbonius snorkel (if I went this route I'd want to paint it black and that's just silly). The Haimus snorkel seems to be the closest to the OE look, without the added complexity and cost of running a functioning flap. Maybe I'll convince myself that the flap is purely for noise control (even though I know it isn't really), and that therefore a simple snorkel with no flap is what BMW would have done in an alternate universe anyway.

Anyway - shaping up for some fun projects to work on in a few months!

• Like 3

Gave the car a quick wash this afternoon and was finally able to put the door trim back on the driver door. I took the trim off several months ago to adjust the drivers door window, but the rubber grommets on the clips were too hard and brittle to be able to use again, so had to wait for replacements from Schmiedmann (I ordered a significant amount for the future). Anyway, here the trim is with new clips ready to go back on.

IMG_9874.thumb.jpeg.49eb9816d65d9582f399c70bc1b01ac6.jpeg

And reinstalled.

IMG_9877.thumb.jpeg.7e3532fa47ab453c6fe3b40a5ed9890b.jpeg