Sign in to follow this  
agent75

want to buy crack free e30 dash

Hi All

They are prob rockinghorse sh#t but i would like to buy a crack free E30 dash.  What are they worth? Does anyone have one they would sell?.  Trying to tart up my already tidy car but it may not be worth it in some areas as it's a base spec 318i manual 2 door (but I love it!) 

Your description is correct.
Prices are now ridiculous, if you can find one.

They can be repaired... This - http://www.ebay.com/itm/351427894250 - isn't cheap, but could be cheaper than buying an undamaged dash.

Ohh, while we're at it can I have a E38 front cup holder that isn't broken.. ha ha ha.

Good luck with your search.:D

i have one sitting in my shed as minty as the day it came off the production line, yours for 7 rutherfords

• Like 1

Thanks Andy.

I can see that the values of these mean i may have to scale back my aspirations.  If I add $100 postage to that I'm looking at quite a few other things i can do for the money.  I'll buy that off you when I get around to buying a repowered twin cam 6cly manual E30 2 door (I don't ask for much)... or when i get around to transplanting in to my own one.  I've still got my feelers out down here in the south...may be something about.

Thanks for the input!

yes particularly hard to find these days, all cracked in the sun and heat when E30s were worth nothing and left outside peoples houses while other cars got the garage before the value of E30s went up again.

some people are happy to settle for second best flocking them, others will put a dash mat on (like i have in both my E30s, to protect the minty dash in my cabby, and to cover the cracked one in my coupe, the coupe not special enough to receive my spare minty one just yet maybe one day)

have seen a few people wrap them in leather, think like the E32 750iL had, which looks smart, and at the prices of a minty dash is probably about on par cost wise these days?? if thats your thing.

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 1

Interesting what you say (quite rightly) about being left in the sun when they're low in value.

I've been using a sun shade on all my cars for more than 20 years.  Keeps sun from the dash, and if you use a foil one, keeps the car much cooler when it's sunny.   I think folks think I'm crazy, treating old cars this way... it's cheap insurance, and I don't have the dashboard cracks.  

If it's shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, a leather re-trim sounds cool.

It's funny... Dads nice E30 had a mint dash - 100% perfect, as he had a cover on it the whole time he had it (18 years?).

He replaced it with a Legacy 3.0R spec.b and it has a crack in the dash... even though Dad fitted a cover :lol: You don't expect it in modern stuff.

Well , I'm a bit of a lucky boy.  $200!  I would have thought that was expensive a week ago.  It's crack free but the vinyl is lifting in 2 ten cent piece sized areas in the passenger dash top recess.  I could possibly make a hole in the foam at the back and ease some glue in there and press it down but it's barely noticable.  I think I'm too scared to put it on now knowing they're so rare!  Might have to wrap it up and put it on my future E30 that has more than 80kW.  That's my E46 330i project in full swing in the background - don't worry about the oil filter housing getting dusty, it's scrap.   Now, who wanted an E38 cup holder?IMG_2260.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_2261.JPGWhat's the best thing to clean it with so it stays mint?  On the window shade front i totally agree Olaf.  I've got one of those 80s ones which is a giant cardboard pair of sun glasses for the E30 - very "period correct"  

Edited by agent75
  • Like 1

there is a genuine bmw sunshade in the E30 accessory brochure i have but have never seen or heard of one in real life now that would be baller. I have the one for the rear window on cabbies

On 10/02/2017 at 7:32 PM, agent75 said:

Well , I'm a bit of a lucky boy.  $200!  I would have thought that was expensive a week ago.  It's crack free but the vinyl is lifting in 2 ten cent piece sized areas in the passenger dash top recess.  I could possibly make a hole in the foam at the back and ease some glue in there and press it down but it's barely noticable.  I think I'm too scared to put it on now knowing they're so rare!  Might have to wrap it up and put it on my future E30 that has more than 80kW.  That's my E46 330i project in full swing in the background - don't worry about the oil filter housing getting dusty, it's scrap.   Now, who wanted an E38 cup holder?IMG_2260.JPG

There's hope for me yet then..lol 

Nice find on your part..