Sign in to follow this  
Shady46

E46 Airbag Light

Hi Everyone!

I've ended up with an E46 with the airbag light on, and from looking around online, it appears that a common cause is some module under the passenger seat. I went under there, and there are wiring connectors, but they're not connected to anything, and there is no module at all.

My question is, was that module installed on every single E46, and someone's removed it - or was it optional, and the light is caused by something else?

34 minutes ago, Shady46 said:

Hi Everyone!

I've ended up with an E46 with the airbag light on, and from looking around online, it appears that a common cause is some module under the passenger seat. I went under there, and there are wiring connectors, but they're not connected to anything, and there is no module at all.

My question is, was that module installed on every single E46, and someone's removed it - or was it optional, and the light is caused by something else?

Go talk to Kerry at Mosens http://www.moseneuroparts.co.nz/

I can't tell you what's causing your problem but a professional will be able to.

Having said that here's a little background on what you've read up so far.

The passenger seat has an occupancy sensor under the cushion (well a series of pressure sensors so it can tell if somebody is in the seat). If there's nobody in the passenger seat the passenger airbag shouldn't deploy in a front-on (although they often do anyway). This saves on replacement costs. It's not optional.

If the car's computer can't see or talk to that sensor it will a) turn the airbag on and b) turn the airbag light on. If that is your problem (again I don't know) then the car is perfectly safe to drive but you can't get a WoF.

You can get a bypass on eBay for less than $20 that you plug into the wires coming out of the carpet and that tells the computer that a) the sensor is there and b) there's somebody in the seat. Using a bypass means the passenger airbag will always go off in a heave enough collision. If you install a bypass (for example if because your seat sensor is broken and it costs a fair bit to replace) after the airbag light is illuminated it will NOT turn the airbag light off and you'll still fail warrants.

Whatever you do you'll need somebody with the correct equipment to turn the airbag light off.

My e46 airbag module was in the center console. 

I was unable to read it with INPA when the airbag light went on so had to replace and have it recoded. 

Have your car scanned or ask someone with rheingold/inpa to do it. 

Thanks everybody - all your input was most helpful. It turns out that it was the airbag module in the centre console as Andrew suggested - replaced and codes cleared now - light is off!

OK problem solved reading the last post also be aware their was a  problem with the wiring to both the passengers seat sensor and the seat belt tensioners.This also coursed the air bag light to come on something to do with the wiring giving up and braking a replacement loom was made available not sure if still covered. 

Hi everyone, apologies for the thread necromancy (figured it was better than creating a new thread for the same topic). I've the problem described above viz. the red airbag light is on permanently.

I've connected to my E46 320d using various of INPA but am unable to communicate with anything other the engine and transmission control modules. Accordingly, I purchased a B800 SRS scan / reset off of TardMe which seemed to work. The fault code displayed is:

Table 10, 01 - "firing circuit, driver airbag, Stage 1

There are no further SRS codes displayed however given that the seat belt fastened light illuminates on key position II but is extinguished on IGN, regardless of whether the seat belt is engaged or not. Could this be related?

Cheers

Edited by Eisenfaust

Similar, though not the same, issue here. 

Airbag light is sometimes on. Could be driving along and light is on, then off, then on again. 

Nothing has so far shown up on a scan. 

On 12/30/2020 at 7:00 AM, gjm said:

Similar, though not the same, issue here. 

Airbag light is sometimes on. Could be driving along and light is on, then off, then on again. 

Nothing has so far shown up on a scan. 

Not to do with humidity / moisture and potentially oxidiesed wiring?

Mine has come on a couple of times in winter for half a day and then goes away...

4 hours ago, Sammo said:

Not to do with humidity / moisture and potentially oxidiesed wiring?

Mine has come on a couple of times in winter for half a day and then goes away...

It's been a bit iffy for some time. Perhaps a couple of years? Didn't appear during WoF time, so that's been OK.

I'll pull the passenger seat and see if there's damp underneath - the previous issue with the evil demons that possessed the dash seem to have been moisture related, so oxidisation is a possibility.

• Like 1