Jun

E60 M5 on its first 2 week and 2,500+ kms with us

12 hours ago, Jun said:

Ionic Current Control unit.

Hmmm might have to investigate this - damn annoying misfires! Lol

like your work @Jun - are you and your technician avail for v10 coils and plugs replacement job?🤣🤣

49 minutes ago, treone said:

Hmmm might have to investigate this - damn annoying misfires! Lol

like your work @Jun - are you and your technician avail for v10 coils and plugs replacement job?🤣🤣

If you have a persistent misfire that appears after car is warm (after 5 mins). This is an easier fix than coils and spark plugs but more expensive. Just remove top air box for room but if you have better tools you can just remove it directly. It’s just 4 bolts per unit per side. Easy to diagnose, swap units, run car for 5 minutes if misfire cylinders just swaps it’s likely the ionic current control unit. Just be careful with the wire harness and plug.

Coils and plugs near the firewalls from what I know is tricky, I got Jon to replace all 10 when 1 of them misfired. Get a real mechanic like Jon; I am an armchair mechanic, with a sprained finger and a daughter that cares about not straining my finger further 😇

Edited by Jun
  • Like 1

The M5 ownership has never a dull moment.  Last week I have another misfire, this time it’s the opposite symptoms.  Misfire on cold start, no misfire when the engine is proper temp.  Sure enough the other ionic current control unit was the issue.  I didn’t bother to swap the units anymore just bought the part and replaced it.  This is about $500 USD / $750 NZD each, well at least the labor was free.  This is easy to replace yourself if you are careful.  2 test drives today, no more misfires.  Ok I hope the rest of 2024 will be boring.

IMG_6472_Original.jpeg

IMG_6473_Original.jpeg

• Like 2

Nothing really wrong with the car, but I already booked at Powerhaus because of the misfire. I was able to fix the misfire myself, since it takes a long time to queue in Powerhaus I decided to keep the booking. I still had some stash of parts that are just gathering dust for years. Finally replaced all 10 fuel injectors, thermostat and got fresh brake fluid. If anyone needs working injectors or thermostat (69k km mileage only) I can send them to you. DM me, I might keep 2 injectors just for quick diagnostics in the future. A few more parts still waiting to be used: upgraded throttle actuator gears and mosfet, fuel pump/filter… 

Got new keys cut by @promo yay! Finally no more crappy weak remote range because of old sealed batteries.

IMG_6555_Original.jpeg

Edited by Jun
  • Like 2

Took it for a Sunday drive, another M5 had the same idea. We are also now pass the 70k mark, hoping we get less dramas going forward.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_7102_Original.jpeg

• Like 5

On 1/23/2019 at 6:10 PM, Jun said:

Went to visit Mike Page today (thanks to Greg for the info - unsure if I recall correctly, previous owner of Pete's E60 M5), Page European in the city was already sold a few years back.  Mike has a shop at Kapiti, Mike Page European.  He checked out the M5, also test driven it.  Error code was shift selector, that was the error I encountered about 1,000+ kms before.  He has reset and checked it, it looks to be no issues.  Mike also said our M5 actually drives well compared to most E60 M5 he has serviced.  He also said it is clean as a whistle, no signs of fluid leaks, very clean underneath the car.

The clutch shudder I encountered when it was a hot day and was really shifting on the high revs is a probably sign of clutch wear.  Mike said it is an unusual circumstance he recommends to leave it for now, there is very little shudder on normal conditions.  So I guess for now until I change the clutch, no hard driving on hot days and then using the car on slow speed immediately after.

Greg (sorry if I didn't recall your name correctly) also measured my M5 to be 10 cm lower on the rear compared to 2 M5 at Southward museum meetup.  Mike had a look at the shocks and springs.  He said they are definitely BMW shocks, springs may have been changed though.  As we can see the bolt on the shocks have some marks on it, so the shocks had definitely been worked on, Mike said it is too early for the any shock work to be done on the car with my milage so it might be the springs where changed and the springs had paint markings.  I do like the look of the lower rear, wheel arch is nice and flush on the wheel.  So keeping it as is.

IMG_6269.thumb.jpg.64fb4b19b1e48f282b65a4d64b90b92f.jpg

Oh there is a 850i on Mike's shop, V12.  I guess only a few people can repair these old cars, Mike will be one of them.

IMG_6268.jpg.6e86b5f5104ef5c9e87f2e7b81cd2618.jpg

IMG_6266.thumb.jpg.4519b737e58f0dd4cf6cdf9d1b1661b7.jpg

Cleaned up the interior this weekend, finally got some time to actually detail the interior.  We also drove out the south coast to enjoy the sunset.

IMG_6233.jpg.e77b7426755ce208667db0daf8a143cf.jpg

DSC07346.jpg.a80efa18dcd4e22e4efd2548ac16f71a.jpg

3,000+ kms now and so far it has been ok.  Need to prepare for those repairs, I hope it would be just preventive maintenance bills.

Hi, sorry to bring an old topic back. I was searching for any information about an 850i that I own and stumbled on this. Really cool to see it there, and i'll be getting in touch with Mike. Unfortunately I don't know a lot about the car's past but would really like to find out anything I can about it. It's new plate is Mea293. I bought the car in Paihia, and have brought it back to Wellington. From what I know, it was involved in an estate sale and so lost its paperwork there. If anyone here knows anything about the car, that would be much appreciated. I've attached some pictures of it now. The picture in front of the house was from when I first picked it up. 

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 20.54.01.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 20.57.58.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 20.57.24.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 20.54.51.jpeg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Karun said:

Hi, sorry to bring an old topic back. I was searching for any information about an 850i that I own and stumbled on this. Really cool to see it there, and i'll be getting in touch with Mike. Unfortunately I don't know a lot about the car's past but would really like to find out anything I can about it. It's new plate is Mea293. I bought the car in Paihia, and have brought it back to Wellington. From what I know, it was involved in an estate sale and so lost its paperwork there. If anyone here knows anything about the car, that would be much appreciated. I've attached some pictures of it now. The picture in front of the house was from when I first picked it up. 

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 20.54.01.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 20.57.58.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 20.57.24.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 20.54.51.jpeg

@Karun no worries, I still keep this thread alive with my updates of our M5.  I think base post this on General Discussion here General Discussion - bimmersport.co.nz to get more eyes on it.