Sign in to follow this  
danutt

seriosly considering

seriously considering selling my bmw

i will post pictures and all when the time comes because i still need more money for the next car

got to drive a lancer gsr last night....oh my f**k

front mount BOV CAI and exhaust this thing went like mad snaps the tacho no sweat at all really considering sselling my cruiser to get one,before you turbo or do nework to your bmw i seriously recomend you drive a gsr first it might change your mind unless you want good looks from the bmw

neway who here has driven a gsr and what there take on the car and maybe theres an alternative car maybe a vr4 or skyline that could for the same money be a better buy???

I've driven a few GSR's and they are okay, if you are comparing it to your 318i then it will appear very fast, but hardly comparing apples to apples now are you?!!!!!

Guest Andrew

rather would get VR4 or Skyline

GSR is like 325i fast. A turbo 325 would PWN most GSRs.

I used to have a Evo I

Yip, it was quick, handled well (for a typical FWD based japa car).

I think just about any '90's turbo japa would make a 318 look fast.

When I was considering selling the 7 series I looked at a few cars, including an Evo 4, a new Ford Explorer and an E36 328i...being a female I obviously go a lot on looks and pretty cars. All cars were in great condition!

Gus and I took the Evo for a cruise and I was pretty surprised at its speed (especially after the big V8 7series!) and didnt mind driving it, it did feel kind of tinny...

Couple of days later I drove the 328i manual, :wub: WOW! What a difference, immediately I felt safe in the car and it wasnt slow, obviously not as quick as the Evo but when do you really need that excessive speed (apart from the track)...

Basically it came down to: repair costs of BMW vs costs for the Evo, getting pulled over for NO reason, feeling safe, and looking like a car whore (if I got the Mitsi).

Not to mention my dad would never let me bring a jap-car in his workshop! :o

Good luck with the decision dude, but I'd look around at other cars for the amount you are willing to pay...

I've always tended to Nissan over mitsi myself after driving both.

Driven Evo 1, 2, passenger in a 4 and 5 and VR4.

Driven R32 GTS, GTS-T, worked GTS-T, extremely worked GT4 (wow!), passenger in r33 GTS-T, worked bluebird sr20det atessa (almost wow).

Hit the nissan every time... Plus a worked gts-t will go as hard as an early evo for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

As mentioned anything is fast compared to your 318i.

Consider these factors with regard to turbo jap cars:

-gas - more of it needed

-insurance - more of it needed

-can't leave it parked anywhere, it will get broken into and or stolen

-cops like to pull you over more

-you will speed more = more chance of fines

-you will speed more = more chance of crashing

-manitory modifications needed - tinits, mags, sacking, alarm (good one), CAI, exhaust, more boost (even if it is 400hp you'll want more),

-with those mods comes need for mods so you wont break stuff, more fuel, better cooling, new clutches etc.

-the 'drive' is inferior to RWD cars

-feel tiny and plastic next to BMW

-safety (questionable)

When I was considering selling the 7 series I looked at a few cars, including an Evo 4, a new Ford Explorer and an E36 328i...being a female I obviously go a lot on looks and pretty cars. All cars were in great condition!

Gus and I took the Evo for a cruise and I was pretty surprised at its speed (especially after the big V8 7series!) and didnt mind driving it, it did feel kind of tinny...

Couple of days later I drove the 328i manual, :wub: WOW! What a difference, immediately I felt safe in the car and it wasnt slow, obviously not as quick as the Evo but when do you really need that excessive speed (apart from the track)...

Basically it came down to: repair costs of BMW vs costs for the Evo, getting pulled over for NO reason, feeling safe, and looking like a car whore (if I got the Mitsi).

Not to mention my dad would never let me bring a jap-car in his workshop! :o

Good luck with the decision dude, but I'd look around at other cars for the amount you are willing to pay...

pam your really getting down with your bimmersport self.

right on, solid.

bmw is a great car dont get me wrong but i feel the gsr would be more the type of car id get and yea sum1 said the 325i is bot the same performance ??i dont think so the gsr went off the clock damn quick and theres basically nothing done to it!!maybe same 0-100 as gsr but after that the gsr will piss on the bimma but a 325 is cheaper and wit a lil work would be good but stil not as quick plus 4 wheel drive is really good for traction...maybe someone here is interested in my bimma its in good nik ^_^

gsr bout 8000

325=....?(5000)

spend 3000 on a 325i =faster than gsr more reliable??

im taking the gearbox out of my bmw ive got a new one going in before i sell it just one problem ive loosened everything and the box comes down but wont come out

ne ideas as to wats keeping it there??maybe resting on the torque converter?which brings me to another question can you take the torque converter out with the box and put it back in when you put the new box in or is it too hard of a job??

thanx :mosh:

bmw is a great car dont get me wrong but i feel the gsr would be more the type of car id get and yea sum1 said the 325i is bot the same performance ??i dont think so the gsr went off the clock damn quick and theres basically nothing done to it!!maybe same 0-100 as gsr but after that the gsr will piss on the bimma but a 325 is cheaper and wit a lil work would be good but stil not as quick plus 4 wheel drive is really good for traction...maybe someone here is interested in my bimma its in good nik ^_^

gsr bout 8000

325=....?(5000)

spend 3000 on a 325i =faster than gsr more reliable??

It sounds like you;ve mad up your mind, so why are you asking for opinion?

GSR would be quicker than a 325i. You get more buzz out of driving the slower RWD BMW than a GSR. Take that to the extreme; a Phaeton is a fast car, but you are driving in a cloud. Pace doesnt neccesarily equal driving buzz.

Anything has got to be a step up from 318i ;)

ne ideas as to wats keeping it there??maybe resting on the torque converter?which brings me to another question can you take the torque converter out with the box and put it back in when you put the new box in or is it too hard of a job??

Are you sure you've totally undone all of the bolts? Starter motor unbolted?

You should remove the torque converter intact with the gearbox to reduce the chances of damaging it by bumping input shaft of the gearbox into the converter etc (or so the info I read before I did mine says).

You need to unbolt the three bolts holding the torque converter to the flex plate, then lever the converter off the motor - it gets quite stuck on there and you will probably have to use a gargantuan screwdriver to get it off.

Gargantuan - I do so like that word, but I rarely get the opportunity to use it in a sentence...

ok can see the flywheel and torque converter just behind it so are the bolts on the engine side or gearbox side ??

are they easy to get to?

also using jimmy bar to pry things off so thatd work instead of a "gargantuan"screwdriver :D

thanx

.... the gsr went off the clock damn quick....

By this I assume you meant you hit 100 ;)

This is the exact reason why Im considering getting an e30 rather than take the 7 everywhere.

There is just nowhere that I can enjoy the awesome power of the 7 and when you consider I can do well over 50 in first and well over 100 in second what am I supposed to do with the other three ?

Ive become bored of being able to get to the limit without trying and what I want now is a car that I can drive at the limit (be that 50 or 100) around the corners as well as on the straights.

In other words something to 'drive'.

I must be getting old :(

ur getting old lol

wen i sed off the clock i mean off the clock :drugs:

im looking for a gsr now so does anyone know someone selling one?

my beema has 137000km's aprox and its a 1990 318i wit new auto box in and 2munth old jamex springs good tyres(yokohama)very tidy looked after car how much should i ask for??

i think its worth bout 4000?

please advise on the gearbox question please those who know bout it

Bolts are on the engine side of the flywheel/flexplate. on the 6 cyl engines (may be the same for you) there is an inspection cover held on with torx head bolts that forms the lower part of the engine bellhousing. After opening this (you should already have it off to get your gearbox off) you can see the engine side of the flywheel - turn it by turning the engine on the front pulley or by using a screwdriver on the flywheel teeth (you wont break them so use some muscle).

Undo the three bolts and begin.

thank you so much that is th info i needed so the gearbox should come right out after that?

any other advise and wat do you think the car is worth?

thanx

By this I assume you meant you hit 100 ;)

This is the exact reason why Im considering getting an e30 rather than take the 7 everywhere.

There is just nowhere that I can enjoy the awesome power of the 7 and when you consider I can do well over 50 in first and well over 100 in second what am I supposed to do with the other three ?

Ive become bored of being able to get to the limit without trying and what I want now is a car that I can drive at the limit (be that 50 or 100) around the corners as well as on the straights.

In other words something to 'drive'.

I must be getting old :(

get a e28, best of both :D and handle pretty well once you do the suspension up.

Then i can sell you that kit Ive got that you love so much :D

wen i sed off the clock i mean off the clock

Did it make you feel like a real man did it?

Oh I just had a thought:

You have removed the driveshaft??? And also there is a throttle control cable from the gearbox to the throttle on top of the motor - you have to undo this (easier at the motor end). Also have you undone all of the cooling lines from the gearbox?

Having drivin most of the nissans mentioned so far in this post, plus some other (S13, S14, and S15 turbs, evo 1,3,4, Evo Libero, various GSR's and the odd subys) I would have to say that the Subaru sedans are alot more fun to drive than GSR's, if you are going to get a GSR may as well get an EVO, anything before evo 4 has probably had the sh!t thrashed out of it so EVO 4 or 5 would be the go, also if looking at a GSR or older EVO make sure you look for rust in the roof and under the headliner, and A pillars. This is a very common problem with these cars.

All in all I cant say a whole lot of good stuff about Japanese cars, they just feel so 'plastic,' ive always referred to them as a 'coffin on wheels,' they are hella light with motors that just want to go faster and faster, id rather drive a BMW but as said before, anything would have to feel faster than a 318i :lol:

have loosened the drive shaft and cable and the starter motor too will take torque converter bolts loose and take it out

wats my car worth??

anyone interested itl be a while before sale because i need to save the cash dif between the bma and gsr or subi is catching my eye im not too sure yet its just an idea kinda like love at first boost with the gsr its so much fun..really impressive :mosh:

B4 Legacy's are a mean car, pretty nice upholstry/luxuries so you wont feel to far away from home :lol: and with a turbo back exhaust and worked intake they go pretty hard.

If i was gunna buy an affordable jap sedan that would be my choice......

and one other thing, if a GSR is the only turbs jappa you have driven, dont buy one....

Go to car yards and take a few other cars for a boost...

Thrash them, give them sh*t and then decide what you wanna do...

:pimp: