Sign in to follow this  
hunter

Click from drivers side front wheel well

I have what can best be described as a clicking coming from my drivers front wheel well area. It has been getting louder in the last few weeks. 

it presents itself when moving off from a stand still or turning the wheels (in either direction) at a stand still or moving slow. And I’m sure I might be able to hear it when driving with the window down. But not sure. 
I thought it might be cured whe I replaced the rack ends, but no. Could it be wheel bearing or possibly sway bar links. I can’t seen anything obvious. 

Any ideas guys? @hqstu or @BreakMyWindow in your vast experience have you guys heard such a noise. 

Sway bar links are more of a rattle or knocking, can notice at slow speed on smooth road and then a judder bar or other undulation.

Is the frequency speed dependent?

Is only noticeable when turning the wheel during slow manoeuvring / turning  or when coming to an abrupt stop actually. 

have been doing some searching and a lot of older forum posts mentioned  wheel bearing. It been intermittently happening since before I had my brakes done but frequency has increased recently 

Edited by hunter

You said in your first post can hear it when turning the wheels from stationary position?

Strut mount maybe? Can be more of a knock though 

5 minutes ago, Eagle said:

You said in your first post can hear it when turning the wheels from stationary position?

Yeah. But I don’t do that much. So mostly when I’m pulling in /out of a parking space or my garage or driveway. 

Should be easy to pinpoint on the right hoist ramps then with someone listening.

Ive got still 2x FAG bearings if that have only done around 60,000km if needed.

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Should be easy to pinpoint on the right hoist ramps then with someone listening.

Ive got still 2x FAG bearings if that have only done around 60,000km if needed.

Yeah I need some help listening / diagnosing. 
cheers for letting me know about the bearings mate. If I need them I will reach out. 

Take wheel off and remove the calliper. Just 2 bolts holding it on. Spin the disc and have a listen for grinding noises from wheel bearing. Could be the dust shield behind the disc. They get crusty and get a bit of play when the speed nut doesn’t secure it to the carrier fully.

• Like 1

I don’t have to to take wheel and calliper off today. But jacked the car up to see if giving the wheel a wiggle reveals anything. 

see vid. 

that is essentially what I’m hearing but slower and loaded up with car on ground it has a clicking sound or ping to it. The wheel felt loose. All the wheel nuts are tight. 

Edited by hunter

Cheers Martin, the wheel "wiggles" when i do that, i can feel play there somewhere. just trying to get it into my local mechanic for a closer look. 

The shock / spring looks like it might be moving too, which is disconcerting to say the least.....

Ah ok if shock/spring unit has play that’s a bit of a worry too. Yeah someone looking in behind wheel while it’s being wiggled should find the bastard easy enough.

P&H suspension looked overthe car this week. 

couple of issues identified;

- loose brake dust sheild ratlting / moving on its bolts - tightened 

- right lower (strsaightone) control arm balljoint clicking / play - will be replaced next week