Sign in to follow this  
Grant Williams

Advice for a first time BMW buyer

Hi all.  I'm planning on upgrading my old mazda, and am tempted to go with my heart over my head this time and get a BMW.  I've been considering either a 2013 328i (70,000 km) or a 523i (50,000 km).  Does anyone have any advice regarding what to look out for, what they consider the better car or what to expect in maintenance costs?  

I'm a complete novice with these cars so any advice from someone who isn't trying to sell me one would be great.

Welcome Grant. The N20 in these cars (assume they’re both a 2L turbo) seems a better engine than previous BMW 4 cyl efforts (oil leaks / timing chain wise). Check for service history - BMW engines don’t love deferred maintenance. The 523 may feel a bit gutless, 328i with 180kw will feel quite peppy. Budget $350-400 for main dealer oil change and $2k for a new set of 18” run flats

Thanks Balancerider, that’s really useful. I’m looking at Japanese imports so service history may be a problem. I plan to get full mechanical insurance though for some peace of mind. I did look at a 320i Msport with band new run flats on, but the ride was a little on the firm side for doing long trips. 

3 series all the way - infinitely better looking car (assuming F30 vs F10) and superior power to weight - likely better handler too and its not like the 3 series is a small car these days...

the 523i would be the N52 motor. quite different to the N20 in the 328i.

3 Series is designed (intended?) to be a sports sedan. The 5 Series is more of an Executive cruiser. And the drive and ride of both fits those descriptions, so a lot is down to your personal tastes and driving style.

Service history, even on a jap import, should be stored in the iDrive information. If it’s not there then take it it hasn’t been serviced and judge the car accordingly.

2 hours ago, balancerider said:

Probably not in a 2013 @qube. Pretty sure  the 523 is actually a 520i rebadged for jap market so will be the N20. 

true, but I thought the 2013 was attached to the 328i and the 523i is some other year (not mentioned).

had a quick look on tm and didnt find any 2013 523i with 50,000kms so assumed it was the N52 2.5L.

there is only this one with 57,150kms which might be the one the person is referring to but not sure 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/523i/listing/2908260553

Thanks for the comments everyone. Yep it was the 57000 km 523i I was looking at, although I’m leaning towards the 328i since one of the main reasons for wanting a Bmer is the drive and it sounds like the 4 cylinder turbo they put into the 3 series is a pretty good alternative to a 6er. Great tip about the service being on I drive - I didn’t think of that. Both cars are at dealers but I’ll get them checked out. Not sure about the mechanical warranty. Consumer report doesn’t think they’re worth the money as long as you get a decent pre purchase check done on it. 

• Confused 2

I think I had two out of my last three BMWs and Mercedes which had mechanical warranties on them and were never used. So call that $6k over 6-7 years... 

Then, the evaporator core in my X5 sprang a leak. That sucker is buried deeeeeeeeep in the dash. Went into Auckland BMW to have the whole dash removed and for it to be redone. Cost me $350 for my deductible, safe to say It would have blown out most of that 6K. 

It’s like insuring your house. Waste of money if you’re 100% confident it will never be victim to fire, flood or anything else. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 5:25 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

Consumer has obviously not had much to do with BMWs.....

Consumer obviously hasn't had any repairs to pay for.........probably drive around in vehicle covered by dealer warranty.