Sign in to follow this  
SmackJackTheCrackerMan

CSF Race Intercooler install

Hey all,

I’ve just received my CSF Race Intercooler and what should be a “straight replacement” definitely isn’t, but it’s one hell of a bit of kit. 
https://csfrace.com/industry-best-bmw-n54-intercooler/

The issue I’m having after removing quite a bit of the intake duct is fitting the hot side charge pipe. I eventually got the cold side on with great difficulty, but I just can’t get the hot side on. 
It’s almost like the location nubs are off slightly. Any ideas? I’ve been at this on my back for a few days now and I’m getting a bald patch 😜

I’ve tried multi grips to try to turn it but there just isn’t the room. 
Any advice will be much appreciated. 

0A766AAF-00F3-4E81-929C-EE078FA96C42.jpeg

E82B9FC6-C6FC-4063-A724-546F5A810D2A.jpeg

8ED75A0F-8867-4283-9F8A-482C50D17CE3.jpeg

I can't see, or even imagine, what is wrong based on the description and pics... but I do know one thing - anything that is described as "race" will never, ever be a "straight replacement" for an OE part.

23 hours ago, M3AN said:

I can't see, or even imagine, what is wrong based on the description and pics... but I do know one thing - anything that is described as "race" will never, ever be a "straight replacement" for an OE part.

But on the website it guarantees straight fit, what do you mean?!

32 minutes ago, HypedKidz said:

But on the website it guarantees straight fit, what do you mean?!

True I suppose, if it's on the internet it's a fact for sure. 😉

On 3/7/2021 at 5:59 PM, M3AN said:

are you being race-ist?

Edited by leichtbau
  • Haha 2

Looks like a generic Chinese intercooler and if so, to get the hot side end to fit up correctly you have to remove a piece of plastic that stops that end from going all the way up. On my E92 it was a roughly triangular kind of gusset that blocks a corner where you want the intercooler to go. If it don't go up there the cooler will not be level and the fixing lug will be 20mm short of reaching the mounting surface.

Get in there with a flat bladed screwdriver and get angry with that gusset. If you are angry enough it will eventually pop/snap out. Then you can push the cooler up higher and the hose will fit OK.

Cheers...

PS: If you already have the cooler pushed all the way up, then yeah, it can take a bit of effort to get the ends together close enough for the clip to latch. I think that I had the fixing screw out while push/pulling the cooler to get the hose to seat.

Edited by jon dee
PS

On 3/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, jon dee said:

Looks like a generic Chinese intercooler and if so, to get the hot side end to fit up correctly you have to remove a piece of plastic that stops that end from going all the way up. On my E92 it was a roughly triangular kind of gusset that blocks a corner where you want the intercooler to go. If it don't go up there the cooler will not be level and the fixing lug will be 20mm short of reaching the mounting surface.

Get in there with a flat bladed screwdriver and get angry with that gusset. If you are angry enough it will eventually pop/snap out. Then you can push the cooler up higher and the hose will fit OK.

Cheers...

PS: If you already have the cooler pushed all the way up, then yeah, it can take a bit of effort to get the ends together close enough for the clip to latch. I think that I had the fixing screw out while push/pulling the cooler to get the hose to seat.

“Generic Chinese” how very dare you! 😜

There has been a tone of R&D put into this Intercooler for the N54 by CSF check out there website, and it wasn’t cheap, nor was it expensive. Seems like a good middle ground as the quality is brilliant. 
I managed to get it fit up eventually, the rubber seal was getting caught up which was causing the issue. Got it seated in the end. 

• Like 2

I'll rephrase that.... my generic Chinese intercooler bears some resemblance to your CSF intercooler which leads me to believe that they will have some dimensional similarities and install in much the same way :) Good to know you got it sorted.

Cheers...

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 10:54 PM, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

“Generic Chinese” how very dare you! 😜

There has been a tone of R&D put into this Intercooler for the N54 by CSF check out there website, and it wasn’t cheap, nor was it expensive. Seems like a good middle ground as the quality is brilliant. 
I managed to get it fit up eventually, the rubber seal was getting caught up which was causing the issue. Got it seated in the end. 

Did you get this fitted. I've been looking into the VRSF one but the shipping is ludicrous from America. Where did you source this from , was shipping reasonable? If you got it in I'm keen to see any results you can share (particularly wastegate duty cycle as I'd like to understand how much pressure drop some of these after market ICs are introducing). 

18 minutes ago, HalfJobHarry said:

Did you get this fitted. I've been looking into the VRSF one but the shipping is ludicrous from America. Where did you source this from , was shipping reasonable? If you got it in I'm keen to see any results you can share (particularly wastegate duty cycle as I'd like to understand how much pressure drop some of these after market ICs are introducing). 

Hey Harry,

Yes I managed to get this installed, turned out the rubber seal on the hot side was slightly baggy and was catching. Overall a fairly straight forward install. 
I got this from FCP Euro and deliver was fairly reasonable.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-high-performance-intercooler-black-csf-8127b

if you go on the CSF website there is loads of detail regarding the R&D for this too. 

1 minute ago, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

Hey Harry,

Yes I managed to get this installed, turned out the rubber seal on the hot side was slightly baggy and was catching. Overall a fairly straight forward install. 
I got this from FCP Euro and deliver was fairly reasonable.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-high-performance-intercooler-black-csf-8127b

if you go on the CSF website there is loads of detail regarding the R&D for this too. 

Thanks for the quick reply So in the end would you say it was a 'direct fit' installation? :D 

By chance to you have any logs or can share your experience with it. Main concern about some of these intercoolers is that while they are cooling, some of them are introducing horrendous pressure drops over stock.

FCP Euro, good call, their shipping is pretty sensible. 

Yeah near enough, some light trimming of some of the plastics around that area, but nothing major. I trimmed as little as possible so that nothing lost it’s structure. 
No logs I’m afraid, but things feel good 😂😂😂

46 minutes ago, SmackJackTheCrackerMan said:

Yeah near enough, some light trimming of some of the plastics around that area, but nothing major. I trimmed as little as possible so that nothing lost it’s structure. 
No logs I’m afraid, but things feel good 😂😂😂

Thanks again. I suspect the improved flow over the stock IC probably negates any other issues (apart from terrible end tank design, which this IC doesn't seem to have!). 

It's a tossup between this one and the VRSF as they both come in at similar cost with shipping.