Sign in to follow this  
qube

1998 318ti OBD help

Hi guys,

I recently picked up an E36 318ti compact to fix up but for some reason it doesn’t seem to have an OBD2 port under the dash despite being a 1998 model. I thought OBD2 was standard for 1996 or newer.

Mine has the build date 06/1998, and with the M44 engine.

Any ideas?

Also, if it doesn’t have it, does anyone have a way to scan this car for codes? The round connector in the engine bay?

It has a rough idle so I’m guessing it needs a new sensor or maybe a bad coil pack so a scan would point me in the right direction.

thanks!

From what I could tell, OBD2 was standard on bmws on later e36s in the USA. 

I had a 2000 318ti, still didn't have OBD2. 

Just good old OBD1 which is the round plug in the engine bay. 

• Thanks 1

Yup, you will need to use DIS and ADS to connect via the 20 pin. I think @M3AN has the setup for it?

Yep, I replied in the other thread, can do.

I could be wrong, but I recall reading somewhere that the change over date for all E36's to full OBD2 was 03/98 build date.  I now that is correct for the Z3 E36/7.  You still have to use the 20 pin connector under the bonnet but INPA with the USB lead and OBD2 to 20 pin connector adapter cable is all you need.

If you are looking for a scanner that talks OBD1/ADS, check out the Foxwell NT530 with BMW software.  I got one of these so I can work on the older Z3's with build dates prior to 03/98.  It's not bad as a scanner and even has a data logger.

Never had an problems reading any M44 engine regardless of build date. Always used the usual 16>20 pin adapter with INPA, BM scanner 1.4 etc.

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Never had an problems reading any M44 engine regardless of build date. Always used the usual 16>20 pin adapter with INPA, BM scanner 1.4 etc.

Yes you are correct, the M44 DME has always been OBD2, but the rest of the car's computers are normally ADS prior to 03/98.

I can at least read\modify all the main ones (DME,EGS,SRS,ABS) on my current 06\97 build 318Ti.