Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

F40 118i auto start/stop issues

Wife has a new toy, a 2020 F40 118i

couple of annoying issues I can't figure out.

Firstly the autostop/start is horrible, the car shudders when stopping and even worse when starting, guess that's an issue with 3 cyl as it sounds very tractor like when idling anyway. Goes extremely well when actually running so its not a tuning issue or anything.There is a manual button to disable autostop but it reverts at each journey to back on. I have ordered an enet cable but does anyone know if this is codeable for permanent disable. We don't live in a high traffic area and I would say the auto stop would save basically less than 1ltr of petrol per year.

2nd we back out the drive, stop and put car into park to shut the gates and the minute you open the door the engine turns off. same on the way home again and you actually have to push the start button to continue. Surely this can be overiden? have never seen any automatic car do this before and its crazy annoying.

Edited by kwhelan
  • Sad 1

These autostop starts are a real con imo, extra wear on the engine equipment and the vibrations you have to feel every time the engine cuts off and turns back on. I hear them at the traffic lights and just cringe! For such a small engine the fuel consumption is minimal at traffic lights anyway. I know from experience my 30 year old V8 Soarer engine uses about 1 liter of fuel idling for 30 minutes from a cold start, a modern 3 cylinder would be a fraction of that, especially at operating temperature. 

Hopefully you will work-something software related out. It would be good to bypass that. 

A while back in one of my Soarers to disable TRC on start up (a momentary button, single press) I made up a timer than closed a relay for a around 500ms which would activate and close the circuit after a few seconds turning the TRC off each time, this of course required modified wiring which is likely not ideal in your late model warrantied car however but it worked for my application. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure you can code it out with an iCarly or using Bimmercode etc. Or code it to remember last setting then when the greenie state kicks in properly you won't fail a wof for disabling an emissions system 

Edited by dirtydoogle
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kwhelan said:

Firstly the autostop/start is horrible, the car shudders when stopping and even worse when starting, guess that's an issue with 3 cyl as it sounds very tractor like when idling anyway. Goes extremely well when actually running so its not a tuning issue or anything.There is a manual button to disable autostop but it reverts at each journey to back on. I have ordered an enet cable but does anyone know if this is codeable for permanent disable. We don't live in a high traffic area and I would say the auto stop would save basically less than 1ltr of petrol per year.

2nd we back out the drive, stop and put car into park to shut the gates and the minute you open the door the engine turns off. same on the way home again and you actually have to push the start button to continue. Surely this can be overiden? have never seen any automatic car do this before and its crazy annoying.

1. Should be able to do this with BimmerCode and Bluetooth OBD dongle. 2 may be a bit more challenging

I'm sure it could be coded out - would be the first thing I would do if I ever need to buy a car with this 'wonderful feature'.

2 hours ago, kwhelan said:

Should be an option in the doors/access menu that says 'turn off when drivers door is opened' that you need to uncheck.

7 hours ago, Navin said:

Should be an option in the doors/access menu that says 'turn off when drivers door is opened' that you need to uncheck.

no apparently that's only related to the radio or the car going to sleep, lots of confused discussions on that on internet, its designed to stay on until all passengers have left as it detects everyone in the car, so they can listen to radio and have aircon while your filling up for example. that can get confused with child seats etc when you get home to your garage though and actually want it ti turn off.

3rd world problems I know

Edited by kwhelan

I just read your post again and yeah agree that's weird as heck. My G20 3 series doesn't do that, I do have the 'turn off when door opened' function active but it certainly doesn't switch off when the car is running. Might pay to check with bmw? I have always had a car seat installed and never ever had issues with it being confused for the last 1.5 years though