Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Repairing stone chips

I'm game, got some road rash around the arches that need a clean up. I'll order some and post some images. 

• Like 2

@Twistee - very much looking forward to hearing (and seeing) how you get on.

Alternatively you can buy OEM paint from the dealer and cut a Q-tip in half to fill chips. Brushes are not the way.

26 minutes ago, m325i said:

Alternatively you can buy OEM paint from the dealer and cut a Q-tip in half to fill chips. Brushes are not the way.

If you can get the correct colour?
As far as I know, no current dealer actually does any paint or body work. :( 

I have some for the X5, supplied by previous owner. Will try the q tips, as I haven’t used it. Hardly any chips though either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

I have some for the X5, supplied by previous owner. Will try the q tips, as I haven’t used it. Hardly any chips though either.

Any time this weekend is good. :D 

8 hours ago, gjm said:

If you can get the correct colour?
As far as I know, no current dealer actually does any paint or body work. :( 

I’ve always ordered the OEM paint from the dealer. Comes with a clear. 

Edited by m325i

Well so far this has been a lackluster experience. Paid on the 4th, no comms from this lot not even an invoice email. Only thing is blurb on their site stating that they are very busy sniffing paint fumes and it may take up to 12 business days to fulfill the order. 

• Sad 1

There used to be touch up paint you could buy from the dealer, came in a container with like a nail polish brush built into the lid.

It was fantastic for filling stone chips.

The last time I had my car touched up the painter supplied something similar.

I bought three of the "Dr. ColorChip Squirt 'n Squeegee Kit" in Artic Silver, Titan Silver and Bronzit Beige over the years through Pelican Parts (was $65USD). I was never really that impressed with them but that could also have been operator error. The colour always seemed to be slightly off. 

I had far better luck with AMMO NYC's method of using a paint dropper/pen and the touch up paint from SuperCheap.

• Like 2

AMMO NYC is good watching, I finally got a response from DrColor who are having international shipping issues and have been pretty good at keeping me updated and providing a partial refund to offset the late delivery. So it could take another 6 weeks for the product to arrive from the US. I'm happy to wait now that I know what is going on. 

• Like 1

I've had better results using the color and drive touch up kits compared to the others. None of them are perfect as a respray, but if it is actually a chip and not a scratch i would say go with colour and drive . plus the postage is free and it shows up within a week. it includes a 'levelling agent' that makes the paint just fill the whole. it also includes the brushes, etc

Edited by First Timer
edit
  • Thanks 1