Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Fog Lamps on during the day

To those who have driven with them on without noticing....do you not have a bright light on the dash telling you they are on ?

I totally agree with you Jim, on the open road having lights on of some sort it an excellent idea, especially when its very flat and the sun is setting.

What I meant was is that to me, there is no excuse for it during the day.

The people who drive around dusk with fogs on instead of normal lights do annoy me... but dazzle a whole lot less than those blue-white xenon bulbs (ahhh my eyes, they burn!).

But I'm a closet fog-fan, I celebrate whenever there is fog or low cloud just so I can turn 'em on.

Oh and its almost impossible to have them on without noticing in my car... you have to manually turn them on & they automatically turn off as soon as you turn the lights off or take the key out (plus that happy green light on the dash).

I saw an E30 bimmer the other day driving around thinking he was cool with the fogs on... except one of the bulbs was out so it just looked ghey.

What gets me is that with the E30 lights is that you kind of need the driving lights on at night when an oncoming car is aproaching as they light up the cats eye that much better and the cats eyes are the one thing that I love in NZ with night driving as they really help you to see the road since you can't see the road marking paint (esp. in the wet).

Always sucked driving at night in Germany as they didn't have the cats eyes so in the wet at night it was really dangerous.

Edited by Carl

On open road driving I prefer to have my headlights on (no fogs), as it'd be easier for road users coming from the other side to spot me.

I only turn on my rear fog lights when someone is too close to my rear. Did it several times, and it was an effective way of telling them to 'back off!'. Obviously I turned it off again afterwards, it was very bright!

proper fog are like daylight running lamps in the daytime and wouldnt dazzle anyone.its the low mouned driving lamps which people adjust up to get the range which give "fog" lights a bad name

i find my driving lights more bloody use than the headlights, they put out a wider beam so for around town etc they are great!

proper fog are like daylight running lamps in the daytime and wouldnt dazzle anyone.its the low mouned driving lamps which people adjust up to get the range which give "fog" lights a bad name

I've not tilted mine up but more so angled them out so I can read letter box numbers at night

Guess you must deliver the mail then?

I'm really hoping that those of you who felt the need in this thread to say that you felt like inflicting physical injury upon those whose habits annoy you, were just joking to make your point....

Guess you must deliver the mail then?

No, not mail delivery, I ran a giggalo business and part of the discretionary factor is to make night calls. It's bloody hard to read street numbers at night.

Thought it must have been something like that, when you see that lovely motor you drive.

I don't see the need for fog lights on at night.bmw lights are as good as any others.fog lights are for, as discribed.If you are doing a lot of night driving long distance. Foglights can get to be annoying.And though it be the law recomened that you keep your vision to the left of the road.Crash proofing yourself means you have to keep one eye on the opposing or on comming vehicle in case he or she drifts to your side while texting, changing a c/d, getting a smoke out of the packet.or just plain not concentrating.We all know the ones.

most people put fogs on as someone said further back cos they look neat.well some might think that but I for one do'nt think so.

Having said all that I do'nt believe that the practise can now be stopped as there are too many doing it. Just put your lights on for day use and leave the fogs off.And the same at night.

My opinion is easy re fogs:

Do what you want to - it surely will not bother me - I've got enough going on in my life without worrying about the way you/others choose to drive.

:D

Would have been handy on Sat night in Chch perhaps?