Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

Euro licence plates in hand luggage

I'm planning to bring my euro plates as hand luggage to Auckland when picking up a vehicle on the weekend.

Wondering whether the (sometimes) overzealous aviation security will classify that bludgeoning weapon?

Anyone has experience bringing this into the cabin?

I'd just wrap them up, surely they're less dangerous than wielding a laptop. I'm sure they don't come with handling instructions, they don't have sharp edges.

Interesting question nevertheless, and given that Customs seem to have the authority to arbitrarily and unilaterally apply subjective rules, it's probably a valid one!

Let us know what you do, and how you get on.

Why not just wait until you have the car back at home before fitting the plates...?

I'm not changing the plates in Auckland as I'll pull them off for cleaning when I get back to Welly anyway - but still begs the question, will they or won't they ....

I found out today that a piece of metal tube longer than 200mm is considered a no go, shorter than that is fine, but no sharp edges involved....

• Like 1

cant remember where i was flying to but i had a lighter in my bag recently. I took it out, and told them i knew i shouldnt have it. they said oh no you can take that no problem.

So who really knows these days. I mostly fly regional so never really get checked anyways.

Lighters have always been okay, since the days of smoking on planes it's been very, very difficult to ignite any fixture or fitting in the cabin of a commercial airliner. And since nobody considers a lighter a weapon, they're on the whitelist.

On the other hand, US CBP stole my brass cigar punch, from my checked luggage, because it was shaped like a bullet. FUCBP, I liked that punch, and it was a gift.

Edited by M3AN