Sign in to follow this  
Spinner99

Help with HUD in Wellington

Hi There,

Is there anyone in the Wellington region with an E60/E61 that has a heads up display?

I'm having some trouble with the hud in my E61 after the windscreen was replaced.  It doesn't look right to me but the local dealer is telling me they think there's nothing wrong and it's just how the "old" hud's are.   I was wondering if there was a kind soul out there that would be willing to take a look at mine and let me look at theirs?  I'm looking for a second opinion and to be able to compare mine with the same model to see if it's just me.

Thanks!

Is it a genuine BMW screen that was installed? Whilst not HUD related, the local dealer installed the wrong genuine windscreen on my e39. They ordered one without the pre-installed sensor for auto headlights. There could be part number differences between an HUD screen and non HUD screen. 
I figure the screen will break again soon so no point changing it. 

Yeah great question!  The long story is similar to the one @tmase had 

Genuine screen fitted in April by Novus.  The HUD was blurry. A replacement windscreen was sourced and recently replaced by the dealer  about 2-3 weeks ago.  It was still blurry though.  It's definitely a HUD windscreen, and I've just returned from the dealer adjusting the hud but although it's improved, I just don't think it's quite right.  

Edited by Spinner99
  • Like 1

If you pay for the gas i can bring the M5 down so you can have a look!! ;)

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, aja540i said:

If you pay for the gas i can bring the M5 down so you can have a look!! ;)

Lol thanks!  I'm not 100% sure if you're serious, but if you are standby to standby I might take you up on that offer if I can't find another one closer :) 

It sounds like to me you don't have the correct windscreen for the HUD option. It's not surprising really given how many E60 windscreens are in NZ and how then how many are HUD capable?

A HUD windscreen has a coating/filter on the inside that reduces the reflection and brings the HUD text into focus. A good test is to see if the clarity improves in rain, it's still not quite right but it does improve the clarity.

Thanks @freaknout

It's definitely a HUD windscreen, I released the scuttle tray and lifted it enough to confirm that it has  "HUD" written into it on the drivers side at the bottom. I didn't know about the rain test, I'll give that a try next time it's raining which hopefully shouldn't be too long away.

Oh, if it’s definitely a HUD windscreen ignore me!

Have you messed around with the configuration in iDrive?

18 hours ago, freaknout said:

Have you messed around with the configuration in iDrive?

yeah but there isn't really anything in there.  i can adjust the brightness, and the only other options are which options to show on the HUD (speed, cruise control and check control messages).  There isn't any adjustment options like up/down side to side etc.  My car is a March 2007 build and has the CCC Idrive  which might have fewer options? 

Sounds

58 minutes ago, Spinner99 said:

My car is a March 2007 build and has the CCC Idrive  which might have fewer options? 

Possibly, just due the age.

On mine you can rotate the projection and move up/down. Not sure about side to side!

7 minutes ago, freaknout said:

Possibly, just due the age.

On mine you can rotate the projection and move up/down. Not sure about side to side!

Yeah maybe!  On mine the adjustment is mechanical, you have to remove the iDrive monitor and there's adjuster bolts behind that inside the dash.  That's what the dealer was using when they did the adjustment for me last week :)

On the E series with HUD there are no adjustments in the idrive except brightness, and the mechanical adjustments are only for rotation and heights, so Spinner99 is correct.

I fitted HUD to my E60 and to me my display in the windscreen is a lot clearer than yours, while I haven't checked the windscreen it should be a non HUD screen.

But if I take a photo of it it almost looks as bad as your lol