Sign in to follow this  
Earlybird

Can’t find obd2 port 1996 e36 323i

Like the title says, i literally cannot find the 16pin obd2 port anywhere, I have a 1996 323i which is a japanese import. i’ve looked online but couldn’t really find anything related to the jap import models as they’re not super common. would getting a 16pin to 20pin cable to connect to the diagnostics port under the hood work? all i’m looking to do is clear an airbag light. any advice or info appreciated!

It doesnt have a 16 pin. BMW only starting using them at some point '99 or ''00 iirc for euro models. Adaptor may or may not work depending on the scan tool being used.

Edited by Eagle
  • Thanks 1

The E36 changed from OBD1 to OBD2 some time in 1996. The port is the same AFAIK.  It doesn't seem to be linked to the facelift, I've seen a 96 328 with OBD1...

Check for a round connector (aka pacman connector) under the bonnet. You can figure out if it is the old interface type OBD1, aka ADS (requiring a special tool) or the OBD2 type which just needs an adapter (which are pretty cheap and I may even have a spare I can send you).

This link seems to describe it well https://www.car-auto-repair.com/bmw-obd1-obd2-and-ads-socket-knowledge-introduction/

There's no such thing as ODBI actually, BMW used ADS then ADS+OBDII, if do don't have a 16 pin port then you must use the 20 pin connector, an adaptor will not work. And because of this you will be forced to use ADS to clear the airbag light and this will require a suitable rig for INPA or DIS which can be quite the faff.

You need to either build a rig yourself or find somebody that already has one with a native 20 pin plug. @Aaron may be able to help you in or around Christchurch, don't hold me to that though.

Lots of aftermarket scan tools that will do most ADS systems with the adapter.

50 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Lots of aftermarket scan tools that will do most ADS systems with the adapter.

It would be good if you could suggest one that does SRS resets, I'm not aware of any but it would be useful to know of one or more that are confirmed working.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

It would be good if you could suggest one that does SRS resets, I'm not aware of any but it would be useful to know of one or more that are confirmed working.

SRS specfic ive used an old Hanntech P1? and Carsoft 6.5 for my '95 E38. I think ive seen @NZ00Z3 mentioned that some a Foxwell scanner can do it?, he can confirm. Im sure there's more but as you hint with many scan tools its hard verify what works with what systems unless you buy it or someone has tried it. Im assuming its how the adapter is wired is many cases. 

There’s some cheap airbag reset tools around. I got one for like $20. Used it a few times and works. But In dunedin 

C00A54FC-11CE-4271-98A1-9BBF056DC624.png

• Thanks 1