Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

R56 Cooper S - buying advice/recommendations

Yes - R56... and before y'all tell me why an R53 is better - I've recently driven both and it's not for me. My left side is a bit munted following surgeries (and I'm a bit buggered from chemo), and as I do want a manual; whilst the '53 is more analogue, the '56 is that bit easier/lighter to drive - and for me, that matters.

It's purely a fun second car that won't be driven a lot (just sold my previous car that had done approx 2.5kms in the last six months), just a fun little box for me to run around town and occasionally a bit further.

I'm looking to spend around the $10k mark... and have no need for a bigger mini (Countryman's and the like) so keen to stick to the basic two door hatch (not the butt ugly "coupe" lol).

I've seen a little bit about the benefits of an N18 vs the N14, which of course seems logical enough but that's pushing the budget and a 14 is more realistic... though as I'll have to outsource any maintenance maybe it's worth spending that bit more?

Anyway; any real-world recommendations appreciated... and if you know of a good one that's available (preferably with a sunroof), give me a shout.

From my research when I was looking at them, the general consensus was to avoid the N14 and go straight to the facelift N18, unless you have receipts covering all the common issues the N14 has (Mainly timing chain, carbon build up, turbo oil line and valve stem seals). Main thing is that it doesnt rattle, and doesnt smoke, as they're the two most "obvious" issues.

• Like 1

Check this link out too

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/2nd-gen-faqs/325329-n18-engine-important-maintenance-items-and-common-issues.html

As Kelvin suggests get an N18 if you can, they pop up for around $10k, just gotta make a quicjk decision as they tend to not hang around too long

and my own list I built up when looking at R53 Cooper S and then latterly R56

Do all electrics work (switches, gauges)?

Check Oil level – water in oil?

Check Water, oil in water? Does it use any water?

Squeaking suspension

Rattle on start (timing chain)

Look for oil between bell housing and engine (rear seal)

Look for oil between crank pulley and timing cover (Front seal)

Rocker cover oil leak, around back by exhaust manifold

Rust – lift boot seals and door seals, signs of corrosion + underneath

Check carpets are not damp

Clutch pedal heavy, sign of worn out

Also check hill start or clutch slip when applying brake pedal while accelerating                                                                                                                                       

Worn flywheel – rattle around bell housing

Clutch depressed and rumble or whine is Clutch release bearing

6 speed Getrag from build date July 2004 has a BKE drivers side sticker on transmission or cast onto the end plate

(earlier BKA ones had different ratios)

R56 - Timing chain, Fuel Pump,Coking up

• Like 1

Thanks for that 👍

It certainly seems worthwhile to hold out for an N18... the downside (for me) is it's harder to find the spec I want. I wasn't born with the patience gene lol.

If you were looking at an R53 Cooper S, this fits the bill,  looks quite well looked after and has the Chrome pack (water bottle reservoir needs changing as prone to failing)

I did not like the random response to my question re S/C oil change as no oil should be left to the max (or manufacturer) change date.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/mini/cooper/listing/3940188374?bof=0z41NWF3

I am now the proud owner of an '08 R56... with an N14 😜

But in it's defence - it's Kiwi new, with very very very low kms and a good service/ownership history. 

Now to get it serviced; get some decent rubber on it, probably a walnut blast and an oil catch catch can, and do something about the horrendous factory audio with a 3.5mm aux in that makes music played via my iPhone sound like it's being listened to under water.

But bluddy hell, it ain't half fun to drive!

And yes Greg - I was originally thinking along the lines of a 130; but I've done the 3ltr Beemer thing (330i the M135i) and wanting three pedals pushed the price up beyond what I wanted to spend, not to mention there being bugger all on the market at the moment.

• Like 2

@SmithyInWelly - completely forgot you have done the 3l beemer - doh!

Enjoy your new purrchase and hope to catch up again at one of the local events sometime

• Like 1

Hey Smithy, 

Havent been on here in a while but what a nice surprise you are now the proud owner of a mini! I love them and Ive owned plenty whilst in NZ.

The N14 is not as horrible as everyone makes it out to be (if you are a car guy and a BMW fan you are already familiar with oil leaks and the like)

Most notorious is the timing chain issue but its really just because these engines love to burn through engine oil and negligent owners run the engine dry so make sure to keep it topped up or change it every 8000km (still check in between - it should be 4L).

Ive bought one before and drained the oil to find only 1.5L of engine oil come out lol.. after new oil the car ran perfect and no issues.

Walnut blast and oil catch can are both good things to do!

Good tyres will make a huge difference to grip and handling and then look at suspension bushes because most likely they are no good. 

Enjoy!! 

p.s. wheres the photos?

• Like 1

Nice seats and multifunction steering wheel!

does it have the sports button?

one cool mod you can do is called the joey headlight mod - black out of the headlight housing which is normally chrome

32 minutes ago, qube said:

does it have the sports button?

No sports mode on this one... but having driven another couple that did have it I'm not overly bothered. It sounds quite ok for this old fella lol

I'm pretty keen to keep it stock - aside from the reliability stuff (ie: catch can), with the k's as low as they are and the spec; I quite like it being a bit understated.

Yea fair enough, the kms are very low indeed! Looks very smart in silver/black too.

Check that the expansion tank is still in good condition as thats a common part that fails and also the plastic intake pipes tend to crack around the metal clamp and cause air leaks. Cheap plastic maintenance items.

• Like 1