Sign in to follow this  
Arata

E30 325i 2 door sedan M-tech2 LHD

Hi team. Recently got a very tidy E30 LHD 2 door sedan 325i Mtech2 (m20b25).

Of couse it comes with issues and here goes haha...

When starting the engine, it starts on the first go fine whether it is cold or hot, but dies within 5 - 10 seconds after.

Key off again and switches back on, starts fine and doesn't die from there.

Things I've already done on this car...

New fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel hoses around the pump and fuel filter.

New fuel pressure regulator.

New idle control valve.

New spark plugs. (Coils/HT leads/Distributor/Rotors are less than 2 years old and checked fine)

I also put the total system cleaner through fuel tank and did make better and so far starts and runs fine on the first go.

I'm thinking maybe the injectors are leaking as I can smell bit of fuel around the engine bay (not all the time).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• Sad 1

Is this the Delphin Metallic one with a momo wheel that was listed end of 2022? 

I would get it to a good independent BMW mechanic before throwing more parts at it - just got my M325i back from the shop and after a valve adjustment and some minor vacuum leaks sorted its absolutely singing (with 400,000km).

Hey guys. Thanks for reply.

This one has never been on sale, previous owner was the only one owner throughout the entire life, she bought it brand new in Japan and brought it here in around 2005, in fact she actually pretty much gave it to me due to having new car (of course I paid for it).

Yep I’m planning on rebuilding the both engine/transmission in the next couple of months or within a year but for the meantime I’ll attack with the fuel leaks around the engine. any ideas on how to spot the fuel leaks in a easy way? Does have a oil leak so I’m gonna clean the engine bay and underneath first…

• Like 1

Had a similar start issue with my e39. Was the camshaft sensor.

6 hours ago, Arata said:

Hey guys. Thanks for reply.

This one has never been on sale, previous owner was the only one owner throughout the entire life, she bought it brand new in Japan and brought it here in around 2005, in fact she actually pretty much gave it to me due to having new car (of course I paid for it).

Yep I’m planning on rebuilding the both engine/transmission in the next couple of months or within a year but for the meantime I’ll attack with the fuel leaks around the engine. any ideas on how to spot the fuel leaks in a easy way? Does have a oil leak so I’m gonna clean the engine bay and underneath first…

Thats a great ownership / buying story! the restoration goes well - bonus points if its a Two-tone JDM Mtechnic :)

Build thread / pictures would be cool.

Hey guys, yes I knew people would be asking for photos. I'll give it a wash and go for drive this weekend and I'll take some photos.

I do apologise in advance that my photo shooting may not be great.

As for the build thread yep I might be able to, I might even video record the whole thing (or I'll try).

Ah forgot to mention that I did replace the crankshaft position sensor this was the very first thing I had to do before my ownership. Also the battery replaced at the same time.

Anyway will keep you all updated on this one. 

If anyone in CHCH especially, you might recognise it as I don't see 2 door sedan Mtech2 with left hand drive unless someone is hiding it.

• Like 2

I know the one, she used to service it at bmw, great looking car with the two tone. 

Here are the photos. Sorry that weather weren’t great…

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1911.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

IMG_1912.jpeg

IMG_1915.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

• Like 10

I've taken my E30 325i for drive on Friday - Sunday this week, has anyone spotted?

Spotted it today. Next door to my mates house 

Looks fantastic! Very clean and two-tone for the win

I usually take it for a drive on Saturdays for test driving. At the moment for some reason Fuel gauge started working again somewhat but it is intermittent so I’ll take out the level sender unit and see what the condition is like. When I replaced the fuel pump it was completely rusted so I’m gonna expect the same.

Other thing I noticed that when the car turns on and changed the gear once (it’s Automatic by the way) and it seems wanting to stall almost, only happens once and after that never has issues. I’m hoping it’s simple vacuum leak which I’m gonna replace vacuum/intake hoses/pipes. Any idea what else can cause it to stall?