celticby

Major engine damage after N47 timing chain snapped

Hi all

The other day the timing chain snapped on my 2012 320d with the N47 engine. Extensive and major engine damage. The car was purchased from new at a BMW dealer, I'm the only owner, full and regular service history at BMW. Only 114,000km. Last service at 100,000km about a year ago. No warning of it snapping. I didn't really know about this issue previously, as I assumed diesel car were pretty bullet proof and would run forever.

At first the BMW dealer basically said "tough luck". Then I went away and thought about it, and researched the problem. I complained to my BMW dealer, as the timing chain is fundamentally a flawed design, and I was never once warned about it, or advised to replace it before it breaks.

Anyway, the dealer and BMW NZ estimate it will cost $18,000 to repair. They are willing to contribute $6,000, which means I need to pay $12,000. The car is only worth maybe $17,000 second hand, in good condition.

I am thinking about escalating this further. Do you all think the dealer and BMW should contribute more? Pay the full cost? Disputes tribunal and civil court action are possibilites.

BMW in Ireland settled multiple cases in 2018 over this problem when multiple owners took them to court.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Many thanks

(P.S. I won't even go into the very poor communication and customer service at my dealer.... )

The more evidence you have of it being a known issue and of cases being settled/recalled overseas and the more noise you make, the better chance you will have.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Palazzo said:

The more evidence you have of it being a known issue and of cases being settled/recalled overseas and the more noise you make, the better chance you will have.

This.

Information is your friend. 

There are no guarantees of success but the more evidence of dealers fixing the issues you can find, the better your chances are.

Your case is as good as it'll get - NZ new, 1 owner, fsh... Now you need to show it's their problem (as well as yours).

• Like 2

How much would it cost to drop a good used engine into the car ? BM World could ballpark that for you.

BMW are just playing games with estimates and margins. Ask if they will pay $6000 towards the cost of fitting a used engine and I think that their generosity will evaporate !!!

Edited by jon dee
Bit cold today... brain was slow to start...

Your Vin is? Might have a good motor here @ Hellbm for you.

Regards Ray

• Like 1

Bugger, I feel your frustration in this situation.

I haven't chased the issue with BMW, but had a VW Golf Tsi slip a tooth with a similar timing chain tensioner issue. In the end paid a local shop $4.5k for a recondition as we couldn't source a used engine. Giltrap quoted 14k, another local outfit quoted 8k with others ranging somewhere in between.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be escalating with BMW as this is a known potential catastrophic failure point globally, so if you've had no advice from BMW during servicing, or any warning symptoms, it does seem a bit raw: https://www.google.com/search?q=N47+timing+chain+tensioner

If you run out of energy for the above, I'd get on the blower to Ray and Sam @ HellBM for a fair cost solution.

I blew a M20B28 in an E30 some years back and the team at HellBM were incredible to swap in a known great condition B28 within a lightning fast window.